Thread: different engine idea.

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

Default different engine idea.

ok. at this point I want to either get a different type of carburetor that is more available and adjustable so it can be properly tuned. or. swap to either tbi or multiport setup. the catch to that is. I want it to work and be the same multiport a 84-85 would have. the main question is how much work would it be.. besides intake and fuel. to complete. only whats required. it does not matter to me if I have a random ecm with 8 wires to make it work as long as the engine is running efficiently. how it should run. I would rather do this with common junkyard parts with new gaskets.

main reasons for this is the downfall of my carburetors. I have 1 franken-carb. and its like. leaking gas through the jet thing? makes no sense. but it floods out all the time.

basically. every carb I have either runs so lean it wont run. or toorich that the mpg sucks.. on top of that they all leak from somewhere into the engine. and all of them the float will hang open sometimes. ranomly. and the secondaries work on the one that the primary runs so ean that it barely runs. the rest of them the secondary does not work.. one it jumps and goes for 3 seconds. the rest just dont work.

the other concern. i do not want to have so much more power as to risk a quicker failure of the other high milage components.

now i know the multiport has what? like 20- 30 more torque. if that. for the 85. my main priority is mainly. mpg improvement and better realiablility and to not be a flooded out carburated bomb. when that float sticks. gas comes out of everywhere. i carry a fire extinguisher because of that.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

I've flow both carbs and FI. I'll NEVER go back. Outside of a TBI, you'll need likely need a complete MPFI motor with engine harness and ECU. Not what you want to hear, but it's more than FI, you need all the sensors that the newer motor has.

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1984 Buick Century Olympia 3.8SFI Turbo V6

Hi Cody. The 84 / 85 MPFI systems will work on your engine without problems. You will need to get the intake manifold, plenum, throttle body, distributor, wiring harness, MAF, and ECM. With these parts you can upgrade the engine. Just be sure the parts you choose came from an iron-head engine. The aluminum head engines are completely different.

The car will need the in-tank fuel pump, and EFI fuel lines (supply and return with rear mounted filter).

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

Do they make mechanical pump block plates then too? I might actually do this sometime soon. Might even buy parts if the yard has any.

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

Im just worried if that extra pep will have it in for the motor. Has some blowby. And timing has to be advaced kinda hard. Timing chain.. well. 200k should say enough there. Might be stretched out.

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

The old s10tbi probably sucks gas too compared to my carb somehow getting 25 mpg