Thread: Supercharged 87 Celebrity Wagon

Vehicle
    87 Celebrity Wagon

Default Supercharged 87 Celebrity Wagon

I've been a member of this great forum for about a year but I haven't posted much because all I do is drive my Celebrity wagon. Other than regular maintenance, it chugs along fine everyday. That's about to change.

A little background on the car to begin with. I replaced head gaskets in a 2000-something Chevy minivan for my son, a job that would have cost a thousand bucks or more at a dealership. I knew he had this Celebrity wagon that he bought at auction for less than $200. So, I told him I'd take the car in trade for my labor. Deal's done THEN I go to look at the car! This is what was waiting for me:

Yikes! That was a rough 89,000 miles! The first thing is the car can't be driven or even started because the tilt wheel had completely come loose from the lower column. All four bolts had backed out. I've never seen one that loose. Somehow my son figured out how to start it by some combination of lifting, twisting and pushing on the steering wheel with the key in the run position. I couldn't duplicate it but he seemed to be able to do it every time. Fighting a dead battery, we get it running long enough to idle on it's own. Good news, no knocking or fluids pouring out on the ground, I'm feeling pretty good about this deal. So, I pulled the steering column out and took it home to get it all fixed up. I brought the column back the next weekend along with my truck and trailer and got the car back together. The car runs so poorly at this point, I had to winch it onto the trailer. But, I got it home!

So, into the garage it went for a full tune-up, oil change and trans fluid and filter. It still didn't run right and I determined I had a couple injectors were bad or plugged from sitting for so long. Quick trip to the local pick and pull and I scored a full set of injectors from a Buick wagon that had a 3.3 in it. It had around a hundred thousand miles on it but the engine was clean and the injectors looked new. Now the car runs great but the exhaust is rotted. I drove it like that for awhile but eventually got a pipe for it from Rockauto for around $30.
    Before I could start driving it regularly, I had to fix the sagging headliner. I got tips and encouragement from this site and dove into the job. It definetly isn't perfect but it beats having the headliner rubbing the top of your head or not being there at all. Unfortunately, those pictures are on my phone so I won't be posting them here.

The final thing I've done to this car is wheels and tires. My son had some Lumina wheels with sketchy tires on them so I bought them. I drove it that way for about a month and then my son's wife totaled her Ford Focus which, coincidentally, had the same size Firestones that I needed for my car and they only had about 1000 miles on them. So, I bought those and my son mounted them on my wheels and this is where I am today.

I didn't really care for the Lumina wheels at first but they were the size I wanted and cheap. They are starting to grow on me but I still think I'll get something different in the future.

Next post will be my initial plans for the wagon and what I have available for the project.

Vehicle
    87 Celebrity Wagon

So, as the title of this thread indicates, I want to put a supercharged Buick 3800 in my Celebrity. The only thing I've done so far is to get the engine and a parts car to begin the project. Here is the car the engine is coming from:

It's a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. About 112000 miles on it and hit hard enough in the front to break the transmission bell housing.

It's going to take some cleaning to get it looking better. I thought about rebuilding it but I think I'll just freshen it up with new gaskets and a timing chain for now. I'll be looking for a transmission that will replace the one in this car. If anyone knows what will replace it, please let me know. I'm hoping to use as much of the wiring from this car as I can. I also know the axles won't work from this car so if anyone has ideas on that I would love to hear them.

On to the next item. Since this is a daily driver, One of my goals is to keep down time to a minimum. To that end, I bought this:

This is a 93 Olds with a 3.3 and an overdrive trans. The idea behind this car is to pull the engine and tranny and either sell or scrap them and take the subframe out and test fit everything on that before slapping the whole works in my car. I can also replace a-arm bushings, ball joints, ect. without tying the car up for that too. Also, while not perfect, the front fenders on this Olds are solid and the ones on the Celebrity are rusted out.

So, that's a very brief idea of where I'm going with this project. Updates will be slow since this isn't the only project I have going. Throw in trying to keep ahead of the yard, work and home maintenance that comes up, I never seem to have the time I'd like for these projects. Tell me what you think and I'll be sure to answer asap.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

That's quite a story! So sad to see it being towed by a Ford.

I like your plan to use the newer subframe. Keep us posted on your progress!

Ken T.

Vehicle
    87 Celebrity Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    That's quite a story! So sad to see it being towed by a Ford.

I like your plan to use the newer subframe. Keep us posted on your progress!

Ken T.
    Heh, I'm not a "brand loyal", I like 'em all. As long as they're in my price range. 😄 Heck, my other car is a Dodge! But, I've always liked the a-bodies and have been looking for a wagon for a long time. It's not a Eurosport but, we can't have everything!