Thread: Hood cable replacement

Default Hood cable replacement

Can any tell me a shortcut on how to replace the hood cable on my 1994 buick century wagon? Nothing on youtube I can find

Short cuts, no, but I can tell you how I did it on our 87 celebrity wagon. Fairly straightforward really. Removing the header panel makes things easier. Then unhook the cable from the release spring. Popping the cable housing is easy. Next, go under the dash and remove the bolt holding the release lever. Removing the firewall grommet can be a royal pain but.... once you have it pulled out go back under the hood and trace the path of the cable (should be along the strut tower next to/ along a wire harness). With that memorized, pull the cable out through the interior. Installation is basically reverse of disassembly. Again the firewall grommet can be a pain but is nessesary to keep fumes and other bad things out.
    Hope this helps,
    AuSSenseiter

Thank you, I rather pull heads on my 3.1 engine than do a hood release cable
    LoL

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

you should see my hood pop cable. still works. but because of previous owner not caring to replace the leaky battery. there is a 3 inch section with no outside of the cable. but the inside of the cable is fine. maybe they slid a new inner cable through it? its odd though. but when you pop the hood. you pull the cable and it comes out to where its just the cable. pull it some more and the hood pops. then you fish the handle back in the thingy.

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

I had a old Subaru it was a nightmare to trace it back and re hook it up so I installed a bicycle brake handle and cable under the front bumper and installed it to the hood release and presto cheap outside hood release handle . Reach down push the brake handle and the hood would pop up just word to the wise tell your mechanics you did this cause you might get a angry call one day saying they can't do emission and inspection with the hood closed hehehe

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

this is my old Saturn. what was left of the cable to a exposed contraption that actually worked well.

plus the emergency cable , just the extra slack that went to the actual latch in case something failed.

my other Saturn just had a cable hanging under the bumper

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

There you go! Impressive!

Ken T.