Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Just picked up a Pontiac 6000 STE AWD!!!

Thanks for those pictures! I've always wondered what the AWD cars look like on the underside, and I never would have guessed that there were so many dedicated parts on the underside of one. I've learned more in this thread of yours than I ever have about the AWD's.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe, '86 Eurosport sedan, '86 Eurosport sedan, '88 Eurosport VR coupe, '88 Eurosport wagon, '93 Ciera sedan

Great Car! I came VERY VERY close to buying it myself.

My parents had one new. I have many stories about that car. Also had many years working on it so if I can help at all I'd be happy to.

Glad to see it went to a home that would care for it. Looks my my search for a low miles 88 or 89 STE continues!

Quote Originally Posted by 73blazer View Post
    Exactly, no. But generally there were about 200 '88's, 1378 89's, and ~200 90's (in 90 AWD was an S/E option as they had moved the STE nameplate to the grand prix).
    So, somewhere in the neighborhood of 1800 in total. I'd love to find an '88 STE AWD with the flat back window!
    It was actually 125 (or 128) 88's with AWD (Black or white), 1,213 89's and 2200 90 SE's with AWD. The 90's were quite a bit less expensive so they sold better.

I picked up some new tires today as the circa 1998 Goodyear Aquasteels were vibing alot at various speeds. They were date coded 1998 and from the looks of the carfax and autocheck, it sat from 2001 to 2015. I thnk the sidewalls were permanently deformed. I had 'em balanced, that helped, but still some pretty bad vibes at certain speeds.

Tire guy was not happy getting the old ones off the rim, he fought those things. He had to get his machine up to 160psi to get the beads to break, then it was all he could do to get his machine to peel it off the rim,it kept stalling, blowing the breaker and he had to help it along manually. Kept swearing, throwing down his pry bars and walking out for a smoke break bitching. Then there was rim cleaning.

Well, the good news is, the tires totally fixed the vibration issue at various speeds. Super queit and vibe free. The bad news is, these tires suck, really bad, in the handling department. Sidewall support is non-existent. They are General Altimax rt43's. Supposedly a "grand touring" tire, tire-rack gives rave video review of it on a BMW 5 series, including in the handling area "This tire continues to deliver crisp handling and excellent driver feedback". Bah....my eye. I know size can make a big difference...but...wow, these are bad. Last time I trust some dink on a tire-rack video who wears driving gloves. I didn't buy them from tire rack, but I was just doing research. I made a poor choice. I'm not looking for corvette handling, but these are hands down the worst handling tires I've ever had. Zero road feel, as in none, it feels like a 1960 Chrysler wagon. It was...what hapened to my STE, where'd it go? Steering input is massive delay, if you get any feedback at all. ANything over 60mph feels like your constantly losing control with steering input. Cornering, hah, corner if you dare, these fold over on you, during one moderate corner it felt downright dangerous. These fold over, big time. When I stopped to look, I see road rash on the top of the sidewall lettering, they folded over that much.
    Horrible horrible tires. They are going back, I don't care if I have to buy another set. It's tought to find any performance tire in a 15" size anymore. 15" was big in 1989, now, it's a Chevy Spark size. I think I'll try the BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sport in H rating. The only other performance option is a Sumitomo tire. THe rest are s or t rated mini-van tires.
    I've been disappointed with a tire purchase before, complaing about one minor thing or another...mabey not so great in the wet as you'd like, mabey they didn't get the mileage they were rated....not like these, wretched horrid handling. The car handled awesome with the deformed aqua's on it, it vibrated at 32,54,72 really bad, but it handled awesome, especially after I had it aligned, car handled sweet. Not anymore, not with these Generals.
    Stupid tire rack tester video reviews.

At least I got my NOS trunk ajar switch and NOS inside rearview mirror (the day/night thing was broke on mine and the lights in it didn't work even though I could have just replaced the bulbs). Those things work like new now.
    Now if I can get my handling back, I'd be all set.
    Last edited by 73blazer; 03-18-2017 at 04:04 AM.

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

I can say I have a 95 century totally different from the awd 6000 ste but I have went from 14 to a rim size to 15 and went with a 205-65-15 and gained tons of cornering and stability vs 14 . I would try and look a little wider tire see if that gives u a better tire choice and handling option I have went from 185 to 205 in width and in a 15 inch and been very happy . But again with the awd and 6000 rest end set up and you might be limited to just one size tire . I have had hancook tires for 14-15 inch rim and been happy . Sad to say but a lot of companies got rid of select performance tires just be careful some tires like your experiencing with BMW handling rides worse for your car but better for another . I know it's not much help my friend but think if you went little wider not crazy wide but that might put u in a better ball part and could help with handling etc. Sorry if it wasn't much info for you . Keep us posted keith

The OEM size for this car was 195/70R15. That size doesn't exist anymore. Well, there are two, they are marketed towards van/delivery they are lots of plys (which might actually be good) but have weird heavy lug tread patterns, one is a winter, the other a 3 season.
    The size that was on there was 225/65R15. And they rubbed the strut towers on the front, according to the calculator they are 18% wider than OEM. They handled awesome, but probably more due to the old stiffness rather than the extra width.
    I choose 205/65R15's, which are still 5% wider than OEM. I'm 99% sure it's not the width that is the issue, it's the sidewall support with these. There is none with this tire. Sitting in the garage I can grab the car and move it inches side to side and it's all tire play.
    Last edited by 73blazer; 03-18-2017 at 01:55 PM.

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

See I use what's called a fusion tire down(bfgoodrich family) in Florida 205-65-15 . I really like them in rain dry and handling is really good . It's not a snow tire tho that might where u don't want that . I have a tire wholesale place down here that does ship through the USA it's called Tirehero.com I been there personally and it's pretty good . See if anything is interesting to you maybe it will maybe it won't . You can drop the tire size down to the 60series instead of 65 but honestly it will only make a little difference . Pm message me or send me a email (mx67627@aol.com)I can honestly say I have pushed my a-body harder on cornering cause the way it's set up and with them been very pleased with the tires . Hope it helps Keith ....

As you've found out, modern tires in the old "performance oriented" sizes tend to suck. All the tire sizes that GM used on their sporty handling cars used to be tire sizes that offered great handling characteristics. Now most of the options left are just POS's intended for people trying to cheaply keep their old junk roadworthy.

A 215/65/15 is a size that works, and last I checked they were still available from BFGoodrich (Radial TA) and Mastercraft (Avenger GT). I've never run either of those types on a FWD, but I've been happy with them on RWD's. If you don't like the white letters, just turn them around.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe, '86 Eurosport sedan, '86 Eurosport sedan, '88 Eurosport VR coupe, '88 Eurosport wagon, '93 Ciera sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Keiths1976 View Post
    I have a tire wholesale place down here that does ship through the USA it's called Tirehero.com I been there personally and it's pretty good . See if anything is interesting to you maybe it will maybe it won't . You can drop the tire size down to the 60series instead of 65 but honestly it will only make a little difference . Pm message me or send me a email (mx67627@aol.com)I can honestly say I have pushed my a-body harder on cornering cause the way it's set up and with them been very pleased with the tires . Hope it helps Keith ....
    I appreciate the tip with tirehero. I took a look, however, I didn't really see anything that peaked my interest.
    I did order up a set of BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sport in H speed rating. I think those will be a much better fit to this car. They have to order them, 1.5 weeks. Nobody had them in stock anywhere. The dealer is going to take back his Generals less a small labor fee ($10/tire or $40). Yeah I could change up the size slightly and probably get more choices, the 225/65 that was on there was just a wee bit too wide and was rubbing. the 205/65R15 I think is the appropriate size/ We'll see. The General Altimax's however...whoa...really bad tire for this car.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567