Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ciera let me down.

Vehicle
    1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL 3.3

Default Ciera let me down.

Well after figuring out the first winter I had the car the alternator was killing the battery I replaced it havent had a problem the past 2 winters. Now that its getting cold In mn my cars been cranking slower.

This morning -5 and I tried 3 times to turn it over and no go. Hooked the jumper cables up to it and fired right up first try. Battery is a 2 yr old Duralast gold. I'll have it tested. I thought about saying screw it though and just go get a nice Interstate battery or a new car. Haha.

Vehicle
    1989 Pontiac STE AWD

Thats the problem withe the Autozone Duralast stuff, you don't know what it really is. They buy from one of the 5 places that actually makes batteries and slap their name it. It's that way with all their parts. I generally stay away from Autozone for this reason, you've no idea who made that part and they tend to change suppliers when pricing suits them. So a duralast gold from last year might have been junk and this year they're good.

Vehicle

Yeah 73blazer my mom has a duralast gold in her 04 impala for about 3 years no problems cranking at all

Quote Originally Posted by 73blazer View Post
    Thats the problem withe the Autozone Duralast stuff, you don't know what it really is. They buy from one of the 5 places that actually makes batteries and slap their name it. It's that way with all their parts. I generally stay away from Autozone for this reason, you've no idea who made that part and they tend to change suppliers when pricing suits them. So a duralast gold from last year might have been junk and this year they're good.
    ^^^^This, yes this!

Since the battery is only 2 years old, they should make it good (warranty it) if it is the problem.

It takes more power to turn over a cold engine because the oil is thicker and provides more drag on the moving parts.

Assuming the battery is fully charging and the alternator is working correctly; you may want to check that the following parts are new or verified 100% good:

Battery (duh!)
    Positive starter cable from battery to starter
    Negative battery cable from battery to engine
    Starter motor

I have seen many occasions where the battery cable connections at the battery become loose / corroded, and it will make the engine fail to start. Merely connecting jumper cables causes enough movement and "scraping off the crud" to establish a connection again and have it start.

Often, the corroded layer is so thin you can hardly see it, but it prevents good contact. Sometimes, corrosion seeps in between the wire insulation and the inner wire core, adding resistance and making the cable its self a problem.

Since your car is a 1991 model, you may very well want to simply replace the battery cables as a preventative measure. They are cheap insurance.

Vehicle

Ill check for corrosion again david. I replaced the starter with brand new not reman about a year ago so hopefully thats not bad, same with alternator, brand new not reman.

I'll have to see if I can find space to change those cables, its getting brutally cold in Minnesota and not warming up for a while, dont wanna lose fingers changing battery cables in -10 weather.

Yes as far as the battery I think I'm just under the 3 year free replacement if it is bad, I'll have to have them test it. I have a block heater factory installed i think, ill have to start plugging it in.
    Last edited by Ciera91; 12-15-2016 at 02:51 PM.

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

Honestly interstate is the way to go yes a arm and a leg and pricey but my mom has one in her car in New York I'd say 7-8 years old and been fine all the others in sorry can't compare to that . Use to use diehard batteries when I was battling the cold up north but went to interstate instead .

Vehicle

Yeah I was wondering about diehard. I buy my tools from sears and always have points. But havent read any reviews lately.

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

To find a genuine name brand for durability is hard diehard was still USA base for many years interstate would run 40 bucks more but in honesty gas and stupidity of running for refunds and another battery I rather have that instead

Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic View Post
    ^^^^This, yes this!

Since the battery is only 2 years old, they should make it good (warranty it) if it is the problem.

It takes more power to turn over a cold engine because the oil is thicker and provides more drag on the moving parts.

Assuming the battery is fully charging and the alternator is working correctly; you may want to check that the following parts are new or verified 100% good:

Battery (duh!)
    Positive starter cable from battery to starter
    Negative battery cable from battery to engine
    Starter motor

I have seen many occasions where the battery cable connections at the battery become loose / corroded, and it will make the engine fail to start. Merely connecting jumper cables causes enough movement and "scraping off the crud" to establish a connection again and have it start.

Often, the corroded layer is so thin you can hardly see it, but it prevents good contact. Sometimes, corrosion seeps in between the wire insulation and the inner wire core, adding resistance and making the cable its self a problem.

Since your car is a 1991 model, you may very well want to simply replace the battery cables as a preventative measure. They are cheap insurance.
    I agree with David. Johnson Controls makes many of the batteries now. One way to evaluate lead acid batteries is by weight. The heavier batteries have more lead plates, which is a good thing. Older Interstate Batteries used to be very heavy. The newer ones weigh about the same as everybody else.
    1959 Chevrolet Apache 31 235 I-6 SM420
    1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Conv 350-4 V8 THM350
    1988 Chevrolet Celebrity Eurosport 2.8 V-6 Getrag 5 Speed

Vehicle

Diehard is made by johnson controls. Which supposedly makes interstate to. The local interstate doesnt have group 75 in stock by me same with sears/diehard. They do have group 78 though. Anyone know if it will fit? I'll get my battery tested after work though before I throw money away.

Here are the battery sizes for "group" battery sizes. Automotive are at the bottom of the page link
    https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tool...oup-sizes.html

Group 78 is slightly larger size wise than 75.
    1959 Chevrolet Apache 31 235 I-6 SM420
    1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Conv 350-4 V8 THM350
    1988 Chevrolet Celebrity Eurosport 2.8 V-6 Getrag 5 Speed

Vehicle

Well the battery tested bad at oreilly then at autozone. They gave me a new one. Still in warranty. We'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciera91 View Post
    Well the battery tested bad at oreilly then at autozone. They gave me a new one. Still in warranty. We'll see what happens.
    Good! Hopefully this is the end of your problems.

This weather is too brutally cold for this nonsense!

Vehicle

Just has me paranoid now, brings me back to that time I was ready to get a new car, when I had the electrical system tested 3 times, and starter, and alternator, nothing found but battery still draining, then by chance I found yhe alternator was randomly staying energized draining the battery. I'll get new cables off rock auto but who knows when I can gey them in. We might break record lows here in Minnesota by sunday might get past -23 F

Quote Originally Posted by Ciera91 View Post
    Just has me paranoid now, brings me back to that time I was ready to get a new car, when I had the electrical system tested 3 times, and starter, and alternator, nothing found but battery still draining, then by chance I found yhe alternator was randomly staying energized draining the battery. I'll get new cables off rock auto but who knows when I can gey them in. We might break record lows here in Minnesota by sunday might get past -23 F
    I remember when I went to Jackson, MN for a training class in February one year. It got to -16°F actual temperature. I started my car in the morning and went back in the hotel. The exhaust gas froze and fell to a pile on the ground behind the car. There is no justifiable reason to me; for living in a place where exhaust gas freezes and falls to the ground. Next thing some part of my anatomy will be what freezes and falls to the ground. No. Thank. You. I will stay in the South.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast