Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convert column shift to console shift - 1984 Century

Vehicle
    1984 Buick Century Olympia 3.8SFI Turbo V6

Default Convert column shift to console shift - 1984 Century

Here is a video where I convert my 1984 Century Olympia from column shift to console shift. This makes the car seem so much sportier!

Sincerely,
    David

Look me up on Facebook and CarDomain and My Webpage

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

That is a LOT more work than I anticipated. Nicely done though, especially making your bench seat into buckets.

How do you remove the shifter from the column? Is it just punching out that pin?
    Daniel
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 186k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
    Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 112k miles. Will be the wife's car soon.
    Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. Garage ornament. Waiting for... some fun!

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Duke George V View Post
    That is a LOT more work than I anticipated. Nicely done though, especially making your bench seat into buckets.

How do you remove the shifter from the column? Is it just punching out that pin?
    Daniel, I just punched out the pin to get the handle out. Also, the linkage under the dash (where the cable originally connected) has to be tied in the Park position. If it freely moves, it will get in some intermediate position, and block the key from going to Start.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Looks very nice David! I agree with Daniel, a lot of work that I hadn't realized. The car is shaping up to be a real one of a kind. Is the console the same as in your GS?

Ken T.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    Looks very nice ... The car is shaping up to be a real one of a kind. Is the console the same as in your GS?
    Thanks! I think the console is similar to the GS's console, however there are some differences. The console I just installed is from an 83 Pontiac 6000. I believe by 86 the console was a little bit taller but not sure.

Vehicle
    1985 chevrolet celebrity

I get into cars with floor shift and almost break off the wiper switch thing.. why is it over there. I even owned floor shift automatics. never got used to them. my first 4 cars were floor shift. and more times than I can remember I get in. grab the wiper thing and pull it and wonder why the wipers are running.
    so I was thinking about doing this.. then realized I would never get used to it. if my own first 4 cars were that way and I never got used to it.

is a nice job you did though.. it looks like it was ment to be. i'm not sure it would be easy on mine though. being mine has the full bench seat that basically doesn't move right now because the passenger release pin on the track the cable broke. it doesn't bother me because the seat is perfect where it is since I bought the car.. weird. I can move the seats all I want in my buick and the van.. the van is ok but doesn't feel right. the buick has nice seats but I just cannot get comfortable..

I would convert to this setup if I would drop a 5 speed out of a cavalier or something in this. if the cavalier trans would fit right any way. its the easiest thing to find a 5 speed in is a late 80s early 90s cavalier

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by cody1234 View Post
    I get into cars with floor shift and almost break off the wiper switch thing.. why is it over there.....
    LOL that is how my dad's Aurora is. Has console shifter, and the wiper control is on the RIGHT side of the steering wheel where the shifter is on the A cars. I seem to ALWAYS grab that and spray the windshield with the washer at least 2 or 3 times a day when driving that car.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic View Post
    LOL that is how my dad's Aurora is. Has console shifter, and the wiper control is on the RIGHT side of the steering wheel where the shifter is on the A cars. I seem to ALWAYS grab that and spray the windshield with the washer at least 2 or 3 times a day when driving that car.
    Japanization of the American Motor car. No thanks!

Great video, I have a 91 Cutlass Ciara what should I be looking at for a floor shifter? You think a mind 90s cavalier would work? Thanks

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    Japanization of the American Motor car. No thanks!
    Ditto!
    Jerry

Vehicle

Only thing left is the American Truck, and I think RAM has push button controls for the trans now...or was it a volume knob.. Whatever!

Ken T.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Trashedteg View Post
    Great video, I have a 91 Cutlass Ciara what should I be looking at for a floor shifter? You think a mind 90s cavalier would work? Thanks
    I don't think the console from the Cavalier would work. Needs to be a Century or Celebrity. The Pontiac 6000 and Olds Ciera had a different console that wouldn't line up with the Century dash.

I just meant the mechanical shifter not the console,

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Trashedteg View Post
    I just meant the mechanical shifter not the console,
    Maybe someone else will know for sure about the shifter mechanical from Cavalier to A-body. I have never explored this possibility. I can tell you that the C/H cars such as the LeSabre T-Type definitely have a compatible shifter mechanism.

What are c and h chassis's?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast