Thread: 92 ciera 3.3 - 99 supercharged 3.8

Vehicle
    1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S

Default 92 ciera 3.3 - 99 supercharged 3.8

Looking at buying a 3800 grandprix gtp and was thinking of pulling the engine and trans and swapping it into my 92 ciera anyone done this before suggestions on possible problems

Vehicle
    87 Celebrity Wagon

There are a few threads on this site to help you. I'm planning on doing this to my 87 Celebrity and have read as much as I can here. It kinda makes me feel like I can actually do it!
    Last edited by Wagontech; 01-02-2017 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Spelling

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

The short of it is, yes, it can be done. It will probably be more work than you expect, and take longer and cost more than you planned on, but it can be done. It has been done. I know of at least four people who have verifiably done this swap, but can't find any threads to link.
    Daniel
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 201k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Transmission time, again. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
    Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 132k miles. Current DD.
    Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. Garage ornament. Waiting for an LR4.

With Daniel - yes it can be done! The powertrain will basically bolt in using your 3300 mounts.

The part most people find tedious is the wiring. Your car is pre-OBDII and your 99 model engine will be OBDII. This just means that the engine ECM wiring is different and you will have to adapt some things to make it work like factory.

Here is a thread outlining the CV shafts to hookup the 4T65EHD transmission (part of L67 package) to your car:
    http://www.a-body.net/forums/showthread.php?60877

Here is a very informative thread about swapping in a 3800 into an A car. This one isn't supercharged but it is the same process either way:
    http://www.a-body.net/forums/showthread.php?5402

Hope this helps!
    Sincerely,
    David

Look me up on Facebook