Thread: 16" alloys pic heavy

Vehicle
    1990 Oldsmobile Cutlas Ciera 3.3

Default 16" alloys pic heavy

So I've had a project going on behind the scenes and I want to share. As some know I was interested in getting a set of 15" alloys from the yard but I was being pretty picky about the style, I wanted the 93 silhouette U-van wheels. The reason is because I had to have the Oldsmobile rocket on the wheel itself like it is with my wheel covers.

Months went by with no luck so I decided to try my luck with 16" wheels. The same rules applied, I wanted my rockets on the alloys. I reached out to Daniel for some help with tire sizes and just to see what options we be possible for a set up that would require absolutely no modifications for the set up.

I ended up deciding on the 93 cutlass supreme wheels. And found them for under 30 each after a few weeks. Here they are

They weren't in the best shape but before I even found them I new I wanted to do a custom paint job on them and get them looking as new as possible. This was my first time doing anything like this. Here's how it went...

Angle grinder,sanders, Dremel and soap& water all went to work on each wheel to get them as clean smooth possible.

Once it was dry and wiped down I hit it with primer

Now I taped off where I wanted my 2nd color after the primer hit its 3 day recommended cure time.

The wheels were then sprayed with gloss black Acrylic enamel and a clear coat

From here I carefully removed the tape on the lip and taped the inner black border line. This was very time consuming.

Finished covering the area and it was ready for paint

After painting and drying time I carefully removed all tape from the wheel. I was extremely happy with how sharp the line turned out

Now during the wheels I was simultaneously working on the center caps. First they were sanded down. They had lots of scratches all over. Then primer followed by a wet sand

I really like the one style of the rocket where the top and bottom come to a point so I cut my tape that way and sprayed it all black

After 24 hours I then taped off the black areas

Sprayed it all white

More tape... I carefully exposed the area needing the red coats while leaving the rest taped off

Red coat

After drying I removed all layers of tape, sprayed a clear coat and waited 3 days for full cure

Slapped them in the wheels and now they're ready for tires

Taking Daniels advice to keep speedometer reading correctly I went with a 225/50/16
    Surprisingly enough I lost 0.3% in diameter when compared to the 14" set up

Also love the how wide the new set up is

And they are on.

Carlos
    “Teach your young children to work, and teach them that honest labor develops dignity and self-respect. Help them to find pleasure in work and to feel the satisfaction that comes from a job well done.”

-Joseph B. Wirthlin

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

Those are awesome! I admire your detail.
    Jerry

Vehicle
    1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera S

That is absolutely beautiful. Very nice work!

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

Glad I was able to help. I will probably be getting some 16s for my wagon soon as well, but I'm leaning more toward some Alero wheels. They should be a little lighter than those Cutlass wheels, and on a heavier wagon, every bit helps.
    Daniel
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 186k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
    Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 112k miles. Will be the wife's car soon.
    Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. Garage ornament. Waiting for... some fun!

Carlos, the wheels look great! Love the nod to the "old school" Rocket emblem. That's what is on my Rocket! I like how the lip of the rim ties in to the striping.
    1959 Chevrolet Apache 31 235 I-6 SM420
    1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Conv 350-4 V8 THM350
    1988 Chevrolet Celebrity Eurosport 2.8 V-6 Getrag 5 Speed

Vehicle

Thank for all the positive feed back guys. Im really loving the look and more importantly the drive. I had a really obnoxious shake on the highway at around 60-70 MPH + which is now non existent. It almost felt like the tires weren’t balanced even though I had them done when purchased new.

After some research I found the steel wheels were the culprit and now the smooth drive on the alloys confirms this.

With the sway bar upgraded, U-van struts, Wagon springs, new shocks and now extra wide tires, cornering is more fun than ever. There's also plenty of room from strut to tire and lock left to lock right, no rub anywhere.

Ive taken some pretty tight turns and before the tire would squeal a bit when really digging in to a corner, now they don’t. She’s completely locked on to the road and any movement feels precise.

I have my eye out for one more wheel to clean up and paint to replace my spare as well.

When I did my brakes about 5-6 months ago I noticed my calipers pistons were not coming out evenly so I bought some that have just been sitting in closet collecting dust. Since I already have what I need I will probably paint them to complement the new wheel set up and get them on the car soon.

@Drop Top Olds- matching the pinstripes was the idea but the different color reds are bothersome. I plan on soon taking care of this and dumping the vinyl and actually paint them on. Also the old school Rockets were imo the best design. This project was the best opportunity to make the wheels how I wanted so I went for it.

Ive noticed shes getting a lot of attention and folks are taking extra long looks at her so I think I will be taking skips recommendation and getting an alarm.

Carlos

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Carlos,

VERY nice. Those rims just look really nice. Glad you noticed that the alloys are so much better than the old steelies. I noticed the same improvement when I upgraded to alloys on my '95.

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

Looks sweet Carlos told ya she would corner better lol . Word of advice get a set of wheel locks so they don't take a walk on ya. The alarm is a great thing to have as a safety thing . Just sucks when they want your ride they don't care either way alarm ,smashed window broken steering colum chopped wires . We need a damn Fort Knox for our A bodies barbed wire ,electrified fences and a claymore mind pit lol . Ok that was over the top but still just when a group of forum guys take a old car and make there own custom work and make it look nice and reliable some douche bags wanna wreck it . Carlos I would do what you think is best to keep your baby in safe hands . thanks keith

Vehicle

Thanks for the complements guys!

Here's a little video I made of the supreme wheel restore.

https://youtu.be/GNBtyESLk30
    “Teach your young children to work, and teach them that honest labor develops dignity and self-respect. Help them to find pleasure in work and to feel the satisfaction that comes from a job well done.”

-Joseph B. Wirthlin

Vehicle
    1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser S

How's the gap between the tire and strut body? From what I recall the Supreme wheels are 16"X6.5" with a 38 mm offset while the Ciera wheels(at least my 14" alloys) are 14"x6" with 42 mm

Vehicle
    1993 Buick Century 3300 V6

Beautiful Carlos, just beautiful.

Looks cool. I like the idea of painting the lip. The red color provides a nice contrast.