So I've had a project going on behind the scenes and I want to share. As some know I was interested in getting a set of 15" alloys from the yard but I was being pretty picky about the style, I wanted the 93 silhouette U-van wheels. The reason is because I had to have the Oldsmobile rocket on the wheel itself like it is with my wheel covers.
Months went by with no luck so I decided to try my luck with 16" wheels. The same rules applied, I wanted my rockets on the alloys. I reached out to Daniel for some help with tire sizes and just to see what options we be possible for a set up that would require absolutely no modifications for the set up.
I ended up deciding on the 93 cutlass supreme wheels. And found them for under 30 each after a few weeks. Here they are
They weren't in the best shape but before I even found them I new I wanted to do a custom paint job on them and get them looking as new as possible. This was my first time doing anything like this. Here's how it went...
Angle grinder,sanders, Dremel and soap& water all went to work on each wheel to get them as clean smooth possible.
Once it was dry and wiped down I hit it with primer
Now I taped off where I wanted my 2nd color after the primer hit its 3 day recommended cure time.
The wheels were then sprayed with gloss black Acrylic enamel and a clear coat
From here I carefully removed the tape on the lip and taped the inner black border line. This was very time consuming.
Finished covering the area and it was ready for paint
After painting and drying time I carefully removed all tape from the wheel. I was extremely happy with how sharp the line turned out
Now during the wheels I was simultaneously working on the center caps. First they were sanded down. They had lots of scratches all over. Then primer followed by a wet sand
I really like the one style of the rocket where the top and bottom come to a point so I cut my tape that way and sprayed it all black
After 24 hours I then taped off the black areas
Sprayed it all white
More tape... I carefully exposed the area needing the red coats while leaving the rest taped off
After drying I removed all layers of tape, sprayed a clear coat and waited 3 days for full cure
Slapped them in the wheels and now they're ready for tires
Taking Daniels advice to keep speedometer reading correctly I went with a 225/50/16
Surprisingly enough I lost 0.3% in diameter when compared to the 14" set up
Also love the how wide the new set up is
And they are on.