Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3300 cams

Default 3300 cams

Always nice to have a more ambitious project out on the horizon, so here's the question- does anybody know anything about cams that can be used on a 3300 engine? Not the 60 degree V6 3100/3400, but a 3300?

In a more general sense, I notice the more aggressive camshafts seem to be about delivering higher power at high RPMs, and you can end up with a very nasty, irregular idle.

I actually like the idle issue- like a dragster in other words, fierce- but my general question is, if you are using an aggressive cam and the idle is suffering, are you LOSING low-RPM power relative to a normal cam, or are you gaining some power there too and it's just about whether the engine wants to stall on you?

I'm picturing Fluffy looking very innocent and sounding very, very guilty...

Actually, Google is answering some of my questions- namely, going to a really aggressive cam so idle suffers will also hurt low-end power. It's moving a power band up and down in the RPM range, and the aggressive cams are moving the RPM up, where I won't be using it.

I'm looking into timing and finding similar things about that- advancing timing can push power lower in the RPM range and retarding it can move the power higher. Sometimes factory timing is a bit advanced to make up for expected timing chain wear. Apparently 3300 and 3800 have a timing chain tensioner making this a nonissue?

It also looks like a general thing that cams shifting power up into higher RPMs also take a toll on fuel economy, which has me wondering. It would be nice if I could not sacrifice that, but perhaps with cams it's just impossible. In particular it's a drag that the fierce, dragster style cams are pigs for fuel economy and low-end torque.

Vehicle
    1989 Buick Century Custom Coupe, Grand Prix GTP 1998

Crower make cams for GM 90degrees V6 from 200 to 229 CID 5 stages a available and seems to be quite cheap i bought one from them a stage 3 power rang from 1500 to 4500 that sure 3300 engine have theyre power near 5200 rpm but really start to put some power near 3000 rpm up to 6000 rpm that cam is NOT performance created yes idle suffer but high end power is simply sick! thats not just a smoot acceleration from idle to 3000 rpm it's brute force from 1500 rpm and goes up to 6000 rpm
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanizeddeath
    I mean there's a lot more than can go horribly wrong with car than when your iPod dock stops working due to a solder job so bad that my dog could do better.
    " Since little or nothing is known about the principles involved in magneto reluctance, diagnosing faults can be a problem ... "  & " treat all other problems as if they do not exsist . "

Vehicle
    82 buick century (4.3lt diesel), 2000 Vw jetta 2.0

jinstigy. you looking to do a turbo mod right? sit and think about this your going to get hte most power higher up, with low comp raito pistion you lower end has suffered yes. but at hte same time you need to tune for high end power to get the most out of your turbo. or you need to cut back on you boost/ raise comratio. to run in a lower rmp band. just my thoughts. look in to water injection.

Quote Originally Posted by LordDurock
    most great ideas will lose the original luster and wonder of their profound expression, when subject to the masses, for all ideas are building blocks on the greater truth, not the whole truth
    82 Buick Century 4.3lt diesel
    00 VW jetta 2.0
    00 vw beetle 1.9 TDI

No, I'm not so sure about a turbo mod. Possible, maybe even a good idea but there's also the rather pricey ($1500 and up) supercharger-where-the-AC-compressor-was mod, and fundamental stuff like cams. The thing is if I'm going to do anything like that it's going to be either:

-the guy I know at Advance who likes these engines and knows about the supercharger mod, or

-the mechanic I use locally who is extremely honest but doesn't think I need to be fooling with stuff like this for a car that he doesn't think deserves it.

Obviously I disagree, but at the same time there's no way I'm turning the engine into a race engine, because I don't race. Whatever I do has to either help or not hurt highway cruise which with the overdrive is VERY low RPM. Some of my routes are about 45 mph roads and the overdrive can barely stay engaged at such a low speed.

Brute force from 1500 rpm sounds like it wouldn't hurt- I gotta admit, 'high end power is simply sick!' makes my ears perk up bigtime even though there's a risk of never using that performance and having the existing MPG suffer (hopefully not bigtime). I don't mind dodgy idle at all, I just don't want to kill the fuel efficiency in normal driving, which is why I think a crazy cam would be bad.

Turbo would at least give me an efficiency boost for boring driving too, don't know if I could install it myself though I'm reasonably good with ducts. I have never pulled this engine, or any engine, and don't even know how to take the top end (fuel rails, injectors etc) off, though I'm surely going to learn eventually.

What I'm looking to do- who knows, maybe over this summer? is to boost the power, not kill fuel economy for daily driving, possibly toughen the engine (I know the rods are very tough already in a 3300) and possibly make the SOUND of the engine much crazier, which probably goes along with top-end power.

So, I'd like to know specifically what you look at in cams to know it's a GM 90degree V6- '200 to 229 CID' has to do with tuning of the cam, not which engine it goes in? Or does that describe which engine it fits? Regardless it sounds a lot like you're describing a cam that throws a lot more power throughout the powerband over the stock cam, I'd like to know which part number it was.

I'm also looking at an interesting 'while you're in there' type thing- replacement of the timing chain (which is probably good though it has high miles on it) with gears. I don't know if such a thing will go into a 3300 engine though it looks plausible- also, I'm concerned that some of the gear sets, designed for a wild noisy 'blower whine' sound, say you cannot use them on cars with knock sensors. I think the 3300 has a knock sensor along with all its other many sensors. Timing gears probably aren't going to give any power at all, they would just be there to be more reliable in the long haul, and to give the engine sound a really startling overtone that's meant to be there. (you can also get not-noisy gears)

Vehicle

So, I'd like to know specifically what you look at in cams to know it's a GM 90degree V6- '200 to 229 CID' has to do with tuning of the cam, not which engine it goes in? Or does that describe which engine it fits? Regardless it sounds a lot like you're describing a cam that throws a lot more power throughout the powerband over the stock cam, I'd like to know which part number it was.

I'm also looking at an interesting 'while you're in there' type thing- replacement of the timing chain (which is probably good though it has high miles on it) with gears. I don't know if such a thing will go into a 3300 engine though it looks plausible- also, I'm concerned that some of the gear sets, designed for a wild noisy 'blower whine' sound, say you cannot use them on cars with knock sensors. I think the 3300 has a knock sensor along with all its other many sensors. Timing gears probably aren't going to give any power at all, they would just be there to be more reliable in the long haul, and to give the engine sound a really startling overtone that's meant to be there. (you can also get not-noisy gears)
    If you buy your cam from a renown company like crower,comp cam,etc they will identify the cam to the engine series where it is used. I bought a Crower cam part #03115 - CHEVY 200-229 90 DEG V6 BAJA BEAST HYDRAULIC CAM

as you know 3300 engine are chevy engines used in a bunch of other companies so.

yeah as your there you can inspect timing gears wear as well as timing chain, changing cam seal, cam bearing if needed, check for lifters and rockers too, bent pushrods, everything that connect to the valve train
    I mean there's a lot more than can go horribly wrong with car than when your iPod dock stops working due to a solder job so bad that my dog could do better.
    " Since little or nothing is known about the principles involved in magneto reluctance, diagnosing faults can be a problem ... "  & " treat all other problems as if they do not exsist . "

Vehicle
    1989 Olds Cutlass Ciera International

Quote Originally Posted by Buick_powa View Post
    as you know 3300 engine are chevy engines used in a bunch of other companies so.
    The 3300 is a Buick derivative engine along with the 3800.
    1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera International --> L67 - M90 + 60-1 =

Yes it's an Oldsmobile and yes it makes over 450 HP!!

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by skalor View Post
    The 3300 is a Buick derivative engine along with the 3800.
    I think i already said that... by the way taht for the precisions

I'm gonna ask a super dumb question so I can stop being super dumb myself...

Is '90 degree V6' the only part that has to do with what engine it is, and "200-229" means how hot the cam is?

If it does relate to the engine, where does the 200 or 229 come from, what does that mean?

Vehicle

That cam will not work for the 3300. It was designed for a chevy 90* V6 which is completely different than a Buick 90* V6. If it was meant for Buick V6 the CID would go to 231 and not just 229. I suggest if you want to find a cam that fits the 3300 that you call the big companies like Comp, Crower, and Lunati. I don't think any company currently makes a cam that will work in the 3300 but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by skalor; 05-04-2008 at 04:36 PM.

That's what you said
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by jinxtigr View Post
    I'm gonna ask a super dumb question so I can stop being super dumb myself...

Is '90 degree V6' the only part that has to do with what engine it is, and "200-229" means how hot the cam is?

If it does relate to the engine, where does the 200 or 229 come from, what does that mean?
    200-229 CID the displacement of the engine

Vehicle

That cam will not work for the 3300. It was designed for a chevy 90* V6 which is completely different than a Buick 90* V6. If it was meant for Buick V6 the CID would go to 231 and not just 229. I suggest if you want to find a cam that fits the 3300 that you call the big companies like Comp, Crower, and Lunati. I don't think any company currently makes a cam that will work in the 3300 but I could be wrong.
    3300 and 3800 engine ARE chevy engines buick only made V8 and one V6 the 3.8 from the grand national the rest come from chevy

Vehicle

3300 and 3800 engine ARE chevy engines buick only made V8 and one V6 the 3.8 from the grand national the rest come from chevy
    I'm sorry but you are wrong. The 3300 or 3800 wasn't even offered in a Chevy car until 1995 and even then it was a Series II. I suggest you do a little research before posting more misinformation.

Vehicle
    1999 GMC 2500 4x4 6.5L Diesel

I'm sorry but you are wrong. The 3300 or 3800 wasn't even offered in a Chevy car until 1995 and even then it was a Series II. I suggest you do a little research before posting more misinformation.
    x2
    2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 40th Anniversary
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 6.5L Diesel HO
    1995 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.4L DOHC
    1995 Buick Regal Custom 3800

Previous: 85 Ciera Holiday, 89 and 90 Ciera International, 90 Ciera

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast