Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: '95 Century FWD Refresh

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

Been doing the cooler line flush for years, typically once a year on each vehicle. GM has a spec for opening a cooler line and measuring flow, so I figured it is safe enough. I use an empty gallon washer fluid container and get one gallon out of everything I own (T400-186K, 700R4/4L60-262K, 4T60-212K, 4T60E-176K and E4OD-30K, 37' motorhome) without ever running the pump dry. Fluid looks bright like new in everything.
    This method prevents the wonderful drenching from dropping the pan, though if you leave it sit overnight, the torque converter will generally drain enough to allow you the usual pleasure.
    Jerry

Vehicle
    1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera 3300 V6

Do you think a fluid additive such as Luca's Transmission additive is worth adding due to the transmissions age, or would you stay away from such products?

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

The only one I have tried myself is Lubegard Red in the '92 4T60. It was working roughly when I first changed the fluid with Dex/Merc III at 186K (had been grossly overfilled and hot previously).

The previous owner had told us the shop he used added something when they had taken it in for the occasional no drive engagement that the car had done since it had 30K miles on it. The shop never wanted to open the transmission more than a fluid and filter because it was so clean inside (I've seen this myself, especially compare to our 4T60E) and they could never duplicate the problem.

As the car was always garaged and backed out (never a reverse issue) by the previous owner, I was able to duplicate it outside a few times in really cold weather. It acted like a partial engagement, so I assumed it was a second gear start. I let it roll once with no or almost no throttle and disproved that theory. I've never seen the problem again since a few drains and fills of Dexron VI, nor the occasional slide/bump 1-2 shift the transmission used to have.

I will also add that that the 2-3 flair shift when cold in my '84 Caprice (262K miles) is gone with Dexron VI. It had done that since 50K miles.
    Jerry

Had just about the same issues with my mounts on my 93 century 3.3. Worked on the rear trans mount 3 different times trying and failing. Then finally on the 3rd try getting it in. Did not have to shorten the studs. Still not sure how I got it in. Then changed the other two another day. With not nearly the labor of the rear mount.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

I can't remember exactly how I got mine in either. It just goes one way. Very tight in there, even with the tierod disconnected.

Thanks,
    Ken T.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Well, I haven't been doing much with this since my S10 has been down (blown upper control bushing). So, now I am doing front end work on both vehicles...and I really hate front end work!

But, the S10 took priority since I thought it would be the quick fix...hasn't been the case since I opted for a complete front end overhaul (kinda like this thing).

Anyway, had some time last weekend with rain falling, and that put me at the bench again. Putting the axle back together. Just for the record, the late model a-body cars appear to have used plastic (Hytrel?) boots. Got the outer done. The balls felt tight, but it's been 3 months since I took them out, and I needed a brass drift to get them out (suggested by the FSM). We'll see how that goes...

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

Welcome back Ken it's not always a rush to the finish line slow and steady is just as good . Tonight I had to replace a lover door hinge pin to the back drivers door . That was a good 1.5 hour cause 4 lbs hammer swinging upwards it didn't want to let go but sure as hell bent the old pin then pop it flew upwards . It was fun got a good work out tho lol . The metal clip bushing that goes around the pin broke so it would rattle and had some play .

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Keiths1976 View Post
    Welcome back Ken it's not always a rush to the finish line slow and steady is just as good . Tonight I had to replace a lover door hinge pin to the back drivers door . That was a good 1.5 hour cause 4 lbs hammer swinging upwards it didn't want to let go but sure as hell bent the old pin then pop it flew upwards . It was fun got a good work out tho lol . The metal clip bushing that goes around the pin broke so it would rattle and had some play .
    You must be a strong man sir, thought of that old Detroit steel door... I've had people comment about how heavy those Century doors on my car feel. Props to you.

Yeah, I trying to keep things moving. I'm just getting hit from all sides right now personally and professionally. Will try again to get the S10 lower control arm and spring installed weather permitting, else I will rotate back to this half shaft. I've got to do the inner joint yet; that's the one that was compromised when the band let go.

Thanks,
    Ken T.

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

Well 74 caprice 2 door was about 300lbs replacing that was fun with the help of jack stands and some WOOD .

Vehicle

When I was younger I pulled a door off a '75 Nova and carried it across a salvage yard. HEAVY. I think it was a coupe.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123