Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Mobil 1 Annual Protection

  1. #1
    Senior Member 85_Ciera_Rebuild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    6,458

    Default Mobil 1 Annual Protection

    Introducing the once-a-year oil change. New Mobil 1 Annual Protection ultimate full synthetic motor oils feature breakthrough lubricant technology that provides protection for one year between oil changes or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first guaranteed.
    =============================

    Walmart is selling this in 5 quart jug for about $50.00.

    YMMV, but it would require a good engine, using a good filter, and on mostly longer city/hwy miles, without dusty roads.

    Economically wise, I think it would be best to do multiple oil changes per year with more conventional oils. I have found conventional oils can preserve an engine, if oil changes are done regularly. Even with 150kmiles, I have not yet observed a difference in engine performance, on 2.8V6s.

    I'm sure its a fine oil, but at $50.00, plus a good filter...no thanks




  2. #2
    Senior Member Century7667's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    I have to agree with you. Though I run Mobil1 in my fleet, I suspect what one pays for with the so called "Annual Protection" is basicaly insurance. I doubt it seriously if that oil is any different or better than the standard Mobil1. If anyone maintains their car with frequent oil changes, even with a good conventional oil that motor is going to last.

    I might also add, that an oil change every 2,000-3,000 miles has the added value of allow you an opportunity to take the time for a good under hood inspection. And, THAT alone can save your hide if you spot something that has been compromised like insulation on a wire, or terminal, or a weak hose, or leaking fitting, or a bad trans line. These cars are now at least 21 years old, and some much older than that!

    Ken T.

  3. #3
    Senior Member 85_Ciera_Rebuild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    6,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    maintains their car with frequent oil changes, even with a good conventional oil that motor is going to last.
    On the farm, all gas/diesel truck vehicles are garaged when not in use, but once a year these vehicles' oils are changed with conventional oils. When in use, they are driven to/from field to grain elevators, so upto around 7,000 miles maximum with mostly hwy type miles. On diesel engines (semi trucks), the oil tests always come back good. These engines do use larger oil filters.

    Conventional oils do work fine, but one must determine when to change the oil.

    Today's conventional oils are much "slicker" than say 1970s oil. I have an older motorcycle with a wet clutch, and with today's oils, they can't be used, due to clutch slippage.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Century7667's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 85_Ciera_Rebuild View Post

    Today's conventional oils are much "slicker" than say 1970s oil. I have an older motorcycle with a wet clutch, and with today's oils, they can't be used, due to clutch slippage.
    ...and if you spill them on carpet. You'll never get it out. My trunk mat has been permanently ruined by clean Mobil1.

    Ken T.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Elmhurst, IL
    Vehicle
    1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, 2007 Subaru Legacy GT
    Posts
    1,342

    Default

    I kind of feel this is a bad idea for most people. I mean how many people actually check the oil level of their car. On top of that not sure how long I would trust a filter, especially if you don't buy one of the better ones. If the filter clogs or tears you'll end up damaging your engine.

    The synthetic oils themself are purer that conventional and can last a long time, its typically the additives like the detergents that wear out over time, so I'm guessing they are adding in detergents that last longer but still not sure I'd want to run all the extra miles without changing, especially since changing early won't do anything to damage your engine but if your oil gets contaminated it can.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Century7667's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lemons bob View Post
    I kind of feel this is a bad idea for most people. I mean how many people actually check the oil level of their car. On top of that not sure how long I would trust a filter, especially if you don't buy one of the better ones. If the filter clogs or tears you'll end up damaging your engine.

    The synthetic oils themself are purer that conventional and can last a long time, its typically the additives like the detergents that wear out over time, so I'm guessing they are adding in detergents that last longer but still not sure I'd want to run all the extra miles without changing, especially since changing early won't do anything to damage your engine but if your oil gets contaminated it can.
    Agreed! And, I don't think the "annual protection" is in the oil, but rather the insurance policy you are really purchasing. I'd rather not have to navigate that claim....especially with a 20+ year old car.

    Ken T.

  7. #7
    Senior Member 85_Ciera_Rebuild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    6,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    .....but rather the insurance policy you are really purchasing.
    On the farm, when you use some brands of oil, they have an extended warranty for your new equipment...yearly oil tests (plus using their oil) is all that is required. If oil test comes back bad, they will fix the problem.

    Cost of oil is similar to most other brands, but very seldom are warranty claims used, if a vehicle is being maintained.

    Hence, they have proof (yearly oil test(s)) their oil was being used, and if oil was changed on time.

    On industrial engines, oil change is a function of horsepower used, and idle hours.

    Operation and Maintenance Manual, SEBU7186-08-01, publication date 2007, page 193, table 22, for 3406E, C-15 and C-16 engines, maximum permissible oil change intervals, and it shows...

    Normal duty OCI at 30,000 miles, 80,000 lb operation, with 20-40% idle time, 5.5 - 6.5 mpg.
    Servere duty OCI is 20,000 miles, more than 80,000 lb, and more than 40% idle, 5.5 or less mpg.
    Light duty OCI is 40,000 miles, less than 80,000 lb, with less than 20% idle, 6.5 or more mpg.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •