Thread: Hard Starting?

Default Hard Starting?

My 80 Citation V6 did this 3 times. It didn't do it 4 years ago:

The starter spins fast cold, starts right up usually; sometimes needs couple tries and starting fluid. (Gas is old).
    Then after 10 minutes warm up, I try it again. Now the starter barely turns: RRR---rrr---rrrrr... It sounds like it's killing the battery, like something dragging.

Facts: Old battery OK. But I bought a new one in late January, still does this.
    Battery proper size for car,. Was tempted to get marine battery but car needed mods to get it to fit.
    Alternator rebuilt 4 years ago, it had no problems but I checked it anyway. It puts out 14.3 VDC at fast idle,
    brites on.
    Starter was working but I rebuilt it anyway 4 years ago.
    Battery cables good but I redid them recently. They are proper length, gauge.
    Terminals good, Marine bronze w/stainless hardware.
    Car sat 4 years, so only a few miles on it since the rebuilt starter/alternator.
    It runs good on the road and highway. Seems to have good compression.
    Replaced bearings 4 years ago when I replaced a seal. All mains showed scuffing like overheating once , said the
    parts store. All bearings in spec by PlastiGauge, changed 'em anyway.
    Cylinders still showed honing makes. pistons seemed free.
    Car has never been overheated while I owned it. Flushed rad/block, new hoses/belts, new used heater core
    (leaked); new thermostat (it was old but free.). Radiator cap good. Fan and switch/relay all working. Water
    pump ok. No coolant leaks as of 4 years ago, or now.
    Regular oil changes, oil pressure fine by aftermarket gauges. Proper weight of oil, too.
    I changed oil when I bought it. Changed it when I returned 4 years later, too.
    It did this in 48 degree weather, even 75 degrees (I am in S. AZ, freezes rare.)
    I can put the boost on my charger on it while I try it, or charge battery overnight, I still get this hot dragging

There is possibility starter getting overheated by manifold, but this never happened before. I did not check last time if it was
    hot. Again, this problem is very new.
    Last edited by Mallory; 03-13-2017 at 05:35 PM.

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

If the fuel is 4 years old, that would be the first thing to get rid of before going further. Old fuel can actually gum and stick valves in the valve guides. Did not believe it until I saw it. Don't know how old it has to be to do this, but 4 years is definitely enough to cause some issues.
    Jerry

Interesting! Since Cit has cast in guides, not bronze, possible.
    I added StaBil 4 years ago. Recently; generic carb cleaner and SeaFoam to tank and carb bowl. Also about 5 gals fresh gas (only 3 or so gals of old gas in tank.)
    Better news than scuffing due to over heating piston skirts etc. This again is inconsistent with how well it ran 4 years ago. I then took her to New Mexico, except for a bad leak she ran fine. Needed oil everywhere I stopped. But made it over 40 miles round trip, even up some mountain passes.

Corvairs interesting, motor turns CCW. saw 4 yesterday.

dan Oh

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

Quote Originally Posted by Mallory View Post

Corvairs interesting, motor turns CCW. saw 4 yesterday.

dan Oh
    That allowed the use of some of same transmission parts as front engine Chevy's, as the internal parts are still turning the same direction as a front engine turning CW (as viewed from the front of the cars). Reversing the GM generator / alternator and later A.I.R. pump took little effort. The A/C compressor took a little more.
    Jerry

Me Bad: Make that 400 miles round trip to NM

Saw restorable, complete Corvair $360, tempting. Like an American Porsche.
    They used to use their motors in Benson Copters and ultralights.