Thread: Transmission upgrade

Default Transmission upgrade

I have a chance to grab a 4t60hd for free , just needs a rebuild. Is it work rebuilding and putting it on the shelf if my 4T60 fails ?

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

Absolutely. The only difference is you will need a different passenger axle. The splines are not the same on the trans side as the 4T60. You would need a hybrid axle, with an HD inner joint and standard outer joint. You might be able to get one from Milzy Motorsports. I will probably be buying an HD unit from him in the near future.
    Daniel
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 186k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
    Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 112k miles. Will be the wife's car soon.
    Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. Garage ornament. Waiting for... some fun!

I believe the HD was for the super charged Park Ave engine. What is the difference of the two ?

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

Sorry, I meant to say the splines are not the same on the passenger side.

Vehicle
    1984 Buick Century Olympia 3.8SFI Turbo V6

Quote Originally Posted by CenturyMan View Post
    I believe the HD was for the super charged Park Ave engine. What is the difference of the two ?
    One thing to be careful of. You probably already know but I want to toss this out there... There's a 4T60E and 4T65E that were used in overlapping years and engines. The main difference that makes swapping between '60E and '65E is the charge pressure control system. The '60E has a modulator connected to manifold vacuum. The '65E has no modulator and the pressure control is electronic.

Because of this, it is very difficult to make a swap without changing massive amounts of electronics and wiring harnesses.

I've dealt with several 4T60/440T4 and 4T65E builds but not a lot of experience with the 4T60E - so if this doesn't apply to the '60E please speak up. A '65E-HD has a different differential carrier (and differential internal parts) and different differential housing. The right side (passenger) inner CV joint has to be for a HD transmission. The splined part of the axle (which goes in the transmission) is noticeably larger in diameter than the non-HD type. The center part of the axle is also shorter to make up for the bigger differential.

Sincerely,
    David