Thread: Parking brake release handle/cable

Default Parking brake release handle/cable

While releasing the parking brake on my '93 Ciera recently, the short wire/steel cable attached to the pull handle snapped. (The parking brake still releases if you reach down under the dash and flip the little lever on the parking brake mechanism.) The correct part assembly (handle with cable) is GM #10226145. According to my research, this part is discontinued and no longer available. I looked around on the internet but couldn't find one for sale. Anyone ever deal with this issue? Workaround suggestions?

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by 93CieraDude View Post
    While releasing the parking brake on my '93 Ciera recently, the short wire/steel cable attached to the pull handle snapped. (The parking brake still releases if you reach down under the dash and flip the little lever on the parking brake mechanism.) The correct part assembly (handle with cable) is GM #10226145. According to my research, this part is discontinued and no longer available. I looked around on the internet but couldn't find one for sale. Anyone ever deal with this issue? Workaround suggestions?
    When I replaced mine, it appeared to fray at the end, and the little nub came off the end. I imagine some enterprising person might find a way to replace the cable portion of the T-handle.

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

I have to plead ignorance in this repair, but any chance of soldering a repair?
    Jerry

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by CorvairGeek View Post
    I have to plead ignorance in this repair, but any chance of soldering a repair?
    I think so. What happened to mine was the able started to fray at the end where the metal nub is. I suppose one could splice in new cable somehow.

Shocking how many people here use the parking brake. I thought I was the only one!

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1993 Buick Century 3300 V6

LOL, I use the parking brake every time I park the car.

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

Me to

93Ciaradude did you find a replacement part?

No luck to date - I keep searching but haven't found a replacement yet. Even though the part is discontinued, GM made zillions of Cieras so I would think that at least one N.O.S. GM #10226145 is collecting dust on a shelf somewhere in the universe ...