Thread: Modify search function to allow 3 character strings/words?

Vehicle
    89 Century 3300

Default Modify search function to allow 3 character strings/words?

I'm trying to find what other people have said about issues and engine operation regarding the PCV valve on the 3300 engine, but "valve" is a very common word that returns lots of irrelevant results, and I think "PCV" is too short for the search function.

I've come across comments and posts about it in passing, but when searching for the string "PCV" the search returns an error stating "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Is there any way for the staff to adjust the parameters of the search function in the vBulletin control panel or something like that? It could be helpful for people searching for other 3-character abbreviations or acronyms, or for example to be able to specify "oil" pump rather than wading through other posts that might focus on the water/fuel/wash pump...

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by LG7rumble View Post
    I'm trying to find what other people have said about issues and engine operation regarding the PCV valve on the 3300 engine, but "valve" is a very common word that returns lots of irrelevant results, and I think "PCV" is too short for the search function.

I've come across comments and posts about it in passing, but when searching for the string "PCV" the search returns an error stating "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Is there any way for the staff to adjust the parameters of the search function in the vBulletin control panel or something like that? It could be helpful for people searching for other 3-character abbreviations or acronyms, or for example to be able to specify "oil" pump rather than wading through other posts that might focus on the water/fuel/wash pump...
    I am not an administrator, but my day job gives me some knowledge. I am pretty sure the 3 character restriction is to prevent too many hits on the search. You just have to be creative. I've ran into the issue myself sometimes.

Ken T.

Vehicle
    89 Century 3300

Oh I'm sure it's to mitigate unnecessary load on the site, I've encountered many forums over the years with similar restrictions...

But despite honing my internet search skills for nearly two decades (RIP alta vista), I haven't really been able to really sieve out productive results. I figured maybe some explicit boolean commands might help the search function recognize that I'm intentionally looking for something, but to no avail.

I suppose I could just use Google's site: command, which I now realize is probably my best option and requires the least intervention by any administrators on the site lol :P whoops, oh well

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by LG7rumble View Post
    Oh I'm sure it's to mitigate unnecessary load on the site, I've encountered many forums over the years with similar restrictions...

But despite honing my internet search skills for nearly two decades (RIP alta vista), I haven't really been able to really sieve out productive results. I figured maybe some explicit boolean commands might help the search function recognize that I'm intentionally looking for something, but to no avail.

I suppose I could just use Google's site: command, which I now realize is probably my best option and requires the least intervention by any administrators on the site lol :P whoops, oh well
    You're dating yourself. I remember altavista.digital.com That was my search engine of choice up until about 16 or 17 years ago!

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

Let's Ask Jeeves...
    Jerry

Yes, frankly Google does a better job searching the site than our own forum software.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

site:a-body.net "pcv valve" seems like the search term you are looking for.
    Daniel
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 186k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
    Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 112k miles. Will be the wife's car soon.
    Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. Garage ornament. Waiting for... some fun!