Thread: Century Reverse Light - now with serious balls!

Default Century Reverse Light - now with serious balls!

Reverse light bulbs replaced with 100W LED module. It kicks ass.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    David

Look me up on Facebook

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

I guess I might ask "why?", since I live in a big city, and a super bright reverse light would be obnoxious as hell. But out in the country, I can see a need for something like that. How much of a draw is it on the charging system?

You continue to impress me with your modifications to these cars, Dave.
    Daniel
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 214k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
    Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 132k miles.
    Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. Garage ornament. Waiting for an LR4.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke George V View Post
    I guess I might ask "why?", since I live in a big city, and a super bright reverse light would be obnoxious as hell. But out in the country, I can see a need for something like that. How much of a draw is it on the charging system?

You continue to impress me with your modifications to these cars, Dave.
    Thanks Daniel!

You're right about the reason you guessed for the "Why?" question. As you saw in the video, I live in a rural area without street lighting. My driveway its self isn't too bad since there's a wide connection to the road - and that road MIGHT see 2 to 3 cars per night from dark to dawn. So backing out there isn't a real problem.

Where this will be most helpful is at my folks' place which has a very steep and narrow driveway. Dropping a wheel off the concrete will leave a bad rut in the yard and it's just not good. This is where I realized the need for a better reverse light. The original one was so poor I couldn't tell if it was even working at all.

Agreed about the light being obnoxious. However it's not that bad since the lens does cast the light down at the ground. We have lots of big pickup trucks here with similar high-watt reverse lights on them. They really light up the place and are obnoxious but only for a moment. I'd rather deal with that, than finding some jacked up pickup backed into the side of my car because he couldn't see.

The driver uses about 10 amps of current, so about 120 watts. It's on only when in reverse (expect less than a minute) and then it's on for 30 seconds after the engine is shut off after dark; by the twilight control. So it uses 10 amps for short time periods. Really not that much of an issue. Really; the design of this modification was for intermittent use only. The LED module needs a much larger heatsink to be used continuously. The driver is not in a ventilated enclosure. Things would overheat and probably fail if it stayed on for more than 10 or 15 minutes. The one mounted on the large heatsink that I demonstrated in the yard, will get that heatsink very hot to touch in about 10 minutes. The LED module is rated to operate at 100°C which is way too hot to touch. I believe that black heatsink would be adequate for continuous use, however the flat aluminum plate without fins would not be.

Impressive work. thanks for sharing the video

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
    Impressive work. thanks for sharing the video
    Thanks Brodie. It has been a useful modification. Several trash cans, other cars, and bushes have been spared at night because of it!