Thread: Exhaust questions from CAT back...

Vehicle
    1990 Buick Century Custom 3.3L V6

Default Exhaust questions from CAT back...

So I own a "beautiful" 50-shades of rust 1990 Buick Century Custom 3.3L V6. The other day, my Intermediate Pipe rusted off at the bracket that bolts to the back of the catalytic converter. (Thanks New Jersey...) I'm now currently in the market to purchase a new Intermediate Pipe assembly as well as Muffler.

My first questions is, are there any other options for intermediate piping other than Walker, besides having to get one custom made? I ask this mainly because I just replaced this piping about 3.5 years ago, and with it being "aluminized steel," it apparently doesn't last long in New Jersey (they heavily salt the roads during winter months, even for a slight dusting).

Second question being muffler related. I like a bit of a throaty sound coming from the exhaust. With that being said, from most of the posts I've read over the last couple days, Magnaflow has been thrown around as a good, viable option for a bit of a throaty sound. Coming from an 18"x9" Walker (22" total length), would I be looking to get a smaller size to get that wanted sound? It still needs to be able to pass emissions later this year (registered in Arizona with Historic Vehicle plates, but still required for the county it's registered in).

Thank you for any assistance with this matter, and thanks for being a great wealth of information for future projects to come.
    Last edited by aequitas27k; 07-15-2017 at 10:08 PM.

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

Multiple brands in 'cats', but only seeing Walker pipes for anything in my old GM fleet too ('78 C20, '84 Caprice, '92 & 96 Century's). Here in the desert, my year old Walker cat back system on the Caprice is still shiny like when I installed it. Better material than what I had installed (bent at a shop) on the pickup in '98, but it is still going.
    Jerry

Vehicle

Unfortunately I won't be back in a desert climate for another 4 years, so I'm just trying to find something that won't give away in this climate. 😉

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

That's a real challenge. Not much you can do to protect the exhaust either.
    I grew up with rust in Ohio and it would take all the fun out of old cars for me now.
    Jerry

Vehicle

Any idea if exhaust wrapping the intermediate piping will help reduce exposure to the elements, especially during the winter months when they overly salt the roads? Just an idea I had while creating a shopping cart on Amazon... 😁

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

Honestly growing up in New York on long island I knew the fair share of rust on all my old cars which mostly ended there life from rust . So from exhaust falling apart to the cradle rusting trough and failing inspections . I had one car undercoated from that ordeal exhaust I would up going cheaper wit flex piping from the parts store and made up my own cause I go so sick of paying 250 for a exhaust set up put on in the shop and 2 years would be falling apart. Flew piping from the part store lasted 2 years and when it failed I got some more and redid it cost factor was a lot less . But now I am in Florida with my 1995 century and just pulled off the intermediate pipe and muffler from 2003 by complaining . Sorry if it's not a sure fix to that my friend but I would shoot lower cost and keep it simple sir . Thanks Keith Plus rustolum makes a exhaust spray paint as well for high temp engines search into that when you get a new pipe and muffler maybe it can borrow you some time .

Vehicle

Well I ended up purchasing the pipe, some fiberglass exhaust wrap (was only $12 for 50 feet, couldn't deny at least trying for that price) and some high temp silicone spray to help with the adhesion of the fiberglass wrap (according to recommendations from Amazon...) Only time will tell if it'll work. Who knows, if it does a well enough job, I might wrap the manifolds when I change out the engine sometime within the next 2 years.

Vehicle
    1987 Ciera S Coupe

I wouldnt wrap the exhaust, itll hold water with and without salt against the metal and destroy it even faster. Scuff the metal with a scotchbrite pad and hit it high temp grill paint for a few coats. After each winter, get back underneath the car and scuff and recoat as best as you can. I do this on my truck each year and its extended the life of the exhaust quite a bit. A good dose of P.O.R. 15 does wonders for the bottom of the car too.

Vehicle

Even sealing the exhaust wrap with high-temp silicone spray will retain water? I'm just trying to figure out how to get the exhaust to last for another 4 years before I return to the desert heat and custom fabricate a stainless steel exhaust for my car. Thanks for the suggestion as well, I'll look into getting high temp grill paint and P.O.R. 15. Fortunately, since I have received the exhaust parts and they're not currently installed yet, I won't have to get underneath the car to apply at least the first couple coats.