Thread: A handful of questions merged into one. Can't open gas cap, random connector, brakes

Vehicle
    96 Olds Cutlass Ciera

Default A handful of questions merged into one. Can't open gas cap, random connector, brakes

Hey guys. So I've had this car (96 Olds Ciera 4cyl) in my possession for a week now, and things are going relatively smooth. Fixed the fuel line leaks.

Next up, I was going to put some Seafoam into the gas tank, considering the fuel is around 3 years old. But, it looks like there is a lock on the gas cap. The ignition key nor the door key seem to fit. Am I doing something wrong? Any input or advice would be appreciated...

Also, under the hood....should this connector be plugged into anything? lol.

[IMG][/IMG]

The parking brake is still busted as of right now. For reference, I set the brake and heard a loud pop, and brake fluid poured over the passenger rear wheel assembly. I'm assuming the connection broke right there at the drum. The car can still move around under it's own power, just with that resistance. The pedal seems ineffective and wonky for now....and the "parking brake" light on the dash appears to be now permanently illuminated. I'm guessing the first step will be replacing the entire line, along with the drum, as I'm sure it's not in very good condition anyways. Any input or suggestions would also be appreciated on that matter.

Thanks for reading! This car is great otherwise, and I'm looking forward to getting her road worthy.

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

Looks like the Cruise control connector on the drivers side in between the strut and battery

Vehicle
    96 Olds Cutlass Ciera

Quote Originally Posted by Keiths1976 View Post
    Looks like the Cruise control connector on the drivers side in between the strut and battery
    Interesting, I'm pretty sure the car doesn't have cruise control....Guess it was cheaper to use a universal wiring harness? lol

Vehicle
    96 Olds Cutlass Ciera

Also, for what it's worth to other people - I was able to remove the gas cap by simply squeezing the two outermost points of the cap and turning (kind of like one of those safety pill containers). Kind of silly how easy the lock+key was to bypass.

I would discard the locking gas cap and use a standard one. The connector appears to never been plugged into anything. I would not sweat it. May want to change the fuel filter in the near term, especially if the car has sat with the same gas in the tank for 3 years.
    1959 Chevrolet Apache 31 235 I-6 SM420
    1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Conv 350-4 V8 THM350
    1988 Chevrolet Celebrity Eurosport 2.8 V-6 Getrag 5 Speed