Thread: Photobucket no longer allowing free 3rd party hosting.

Vehicle
    1988 Ciera Sl Coupe FE3 & 1988 Ciera International Coupe

Default Photobucket no longer allowing free 3rd party hosting.

I just realized this when I looked at my latest post. Apparently back in July they made the change so no embedded photos hosted on Photobucket will show up in the posts unless you have a $400/year upgrade with them.....

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

I have posted a thread regarding alternative image hosting. For those who can't be bothered to click the link, here is the post in its entirety:

imgur.com is probably the largest image host on the internet at the moment. Using imgur is quite simple.

Once the site is loaded, click "New Post" at the top, then Browse. Select your image, then click Open. It will upload your image. Once your image shows up, hover your mouse over it so that a menu pops up, then put your mouse on the little down arrow, as shown here:

Click on "Get share links":

Click copy next to the box beneath "BBCode (Forums)". When you paste it, it should leave you with something like this:
    [ img ]http://i.imgur.com/KSkS9CF.jpg[ /img ]
    I added spaces in the brackets there next to "img" and "/img" in order to prevent the forum software from just showing the image again, so you would remove those spaces.

If an image is very large and you would like it to be shown not so large, imgur allows using an identifier at the end of the file name. In the example above, right before the ".jpg" you would add one of the following letters:
    s for a small image:

m for a medium image:

l (that is, L, but lowercase) for large image:

h for huge image:

And no additional letter for full size:

tinypic is another host, but I have no experience with them.

Vehicle
    1988 Ciera Sl Coupe FE3 & 1988 Ciera International Coupe

Thanks!
    Unfortunately all our old posts will now have dead photos.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

If it's free, they have no obligation to you. I would suggest if you can afford it, be a customer. That way you have a leg to stand on.

Ken T.

I switched to Imgur after getting Photobucked. After getting the hang of it, Imgur seems to work well; faster and easier than Photobucket, too. Hopefully Imgur won't pull the same stunt as Photobucket ...
    Last edited by 93CieraDude; 08-21-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd Jarlson View Post
    they made the change so no embedded photos hosted on Photobucket will show up in the posts
    On another forum, my photobucket photos are still coming up...but I doubt if lots of people are bringing up those topics.

Maybe total byte usage determines when embedded photos are zapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd Jarlson View Post
    so no embedded photos hosted on Photobucket will show up in the posts unless you have a $400/year upgrade with them.....
    "The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If you are interested in image linking and/or 3rd party image hosting, you will need to subscribe to one of our Plus Accounts described below. Free account Members can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.
    "Plus 100 Plan: 102 GB of Storage for $99.99 / Year. The Plus 100 Plan allows for unlimited image linking but does not allow 3rd party image hosting. "
    ===========================

My free account still enables "image linking," but again, there would be few hits on photos posted.

I've been with photobucket for years...so maybe a computer glitch of theirs.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

I'm just not going to get burned again. No more ads. No more crap. No more slow sites.

Ken T.

Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    No more ads. No more crap. No more slow sites.
    ISPs have slowly been getting away from allowing user space for web pages/etc. From a Mom/Pop ISP viewpoint, if a photo hits big, its a drag on their system. Hence, by not allowing web-pages, they can predict how their loads will be.

Photobucket played dirty pool, and then wants too much $$$ for non-commercial interests. To my awareness, Photobucket has not blanked out my photos yet, on a quiet forum. I suppose if there were a succession of photos, then they (computer) might clamp down.

Vehicle
    "Amazing Grace", 1991 Cutlass Ciera

So im new to all this Photobucket stuff, if there's a thread we would love to see pics on, and they have the Photobucket add thing, is there a way to see the pics? Im confused lol.
    When in doubt, GAS IT!

If you aint first, you're last!

Vehicle
    1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette, 1989 GMC Sierra C1500, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT

PB shot themselves in the foot. I don't see them lasting much longer.
    Jay

Vehicle
    1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette, 1989 GMC Sierra C1500, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT

Quote Originally Posted by Duke George V View Post
    tinypic is another host, but I have no experience with them.
    I have used tinypic for years and they're good. Limited to uploading 5-6 pics at a time though is my only complaint.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by SexySilhouette View Post
    PB shot themselves in the foot...
    When Netflix, some years ago, did a steep increase in plan prices, a whole bunch of people dumped them....800,000 or so, iirc.

I'm sure some people were consuming lots of bandwidth, but they didn't do their market research on pricing, and how people were using PB.

I logged into PB last night, and in your face price plans....like fat chance in he11 for me.