Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delco ETR Current Draw

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Default Delco ETR Current Draw

Hello!

Anyone know what kind of current draw the the standard fare Delco ETR Cassette head unit?

I'm looking to upgrade my DC power to my shop radio, a Delco ETR. ....which is fabulous hooked into 4 hi-fi speaker cabinets!

Thanks,
    Ken T.

I would not think too many amps are required...but if external amplifier is used, a different story. For a 1994 buick century fuse box, they show a 10 amp fuse for radio....same thing for 1993 nissan 240sx:-)

Btw, Delco ETR radio - repair static, thumping, popping, and right-channel weak audio...

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

That's right, the fuse should be an indication of the upper limit, and so know nothing more than 10 amp.

I thinking about a hack to an APC UPS where by I will install a 12V tap for the Delco ETR. A little research and maybe something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ur-D37-juo

Ken T.

Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    thinking about a hack to an APC UPS where by I will install a 12V tap for the Delco ETR
    I bought an APC BR1500G, along with their BR24BPG (external battery pack) for powering up, when needed, my Rinnai Furnance (EX08C), until I get a sine wave DC/AC converter going, or a gen set fired up. Otherwise, its used for my computer setup. Living in a rural area, there are momentary outages, which is why I use the APC unit.

Using a 12 volt battery might be a better "hack." I do like NOCO Genius G7200 battery charger. Rolls has some nice deep cycle batteries, if one really gets serious:-)

Vehicle

Thanks for that referral! That NOCO G7200 looks real impressive. In particular it's ability to rescue batteries that are left untended and run down. I went ahead and ordered one with the adaptor to plug into the cigarette lighter on my Century. Hopefully once I have that car road ready, the battery will be as well.

Ken T.

Thanks for that referral... NOCO G7200...
    You're Welcome...

On the farm, an earlier model of theirs was used for years, and last year, I bought the G7200 unit. Being fanless is a nice feature. and that over-charging will not happen.

I'd rather have a Smart Charger....I paid around $100, iirc, but it should last for years.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 85_Ciera_Rebuild View Post
    You're Welcome...

On the farm, an earlier model of theirs was used for years, and last year, I bought the G7200 unit. Being fanless is a nice feature. and that over-charging will not happen.

I'd rather have a Smart Charger....I paid around $100, iirc, but it should last for years.
    Mine just arrived today. I have an old APC Line Conditioner I plan to put ahead of it to keep it from abused by our crappy power grid....maybe it too will last for years. I'll have the Century hooked up this weekend.

Ken T.

APC Line Conditioner
    NOCO wattage spec is 132W Max, so APC's Voltage Regulator should work fine. I bought APC's LE-600 to use on a "dirty" generator someday...backup power, if needed.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by 85_Ciera_Rebuild View Post
    NOCO wattage spec is 132W Max, so APC's Voltage Regulator should work fine. I bought APC's LE-600 to use on a "dirty" generator someday...backup power, if needed.
    Yeah, this is a 600 VA unit. I'm real excited to try the setup to see if the Century's battery can recover from a 10 month layoff.

Ken T.

600 VA unit
    Sidebar - Living in a northern climate, in a rural area, some 13 miles from town, there can be winter storms that prevents traveling for several days when a heavy snow storm exists; very seldom does this happen, but being prepared (or going elsewhere) is a good idea.

So, I have

1. Harbor Freight 900 watt 2 cycle AC gen
    2. APC LE-600
    3. Rinnai EX11C Direct Vent Wall Furnace (propane)
    4. APC UPS Battery Back Up (BR1500G) with APC Back-UPS BR248PG
    5. Kisae 400 watt DC-to-AC power inverter (true sine wave)
    6. Home-made 12 volt DC generator

Rinnai furnace uses 44 watts, so it is hooked direct to APC's UPS, which can be turned on after power is out, if needed. Rinnai furnace in colder temps tends to run continuous, and it is designed to run continuous. Total possible run time for UPS with battery pack is around 446 minutes (7.4 hours).

This gives time to either setup 2 cycle AC generator with VR unit (LE-600)...so cleaned-up AC power is sent to UPS unit, or to hookup 12v battery powered sine wave unit. Sine wave unit can either be powered via vehicle, or by this home-made 12v generator using an older semi-truck's Delco generator, which is brushless.

Hopefully, this setup will never have to be used, but the last snow storm, some five years ago, had a number of rural folks without power for weeks.

Vehicle

Nice semi truck generator! Does it give the small engine a good workout? I've often fantasized about doing one of those, but I've read that using car alternator 130 Amp is not real practical.

I've got a number of APC UPS around the house, including your model. Don't have a pure sine wave inverter though.

I have a tankless water heater as well, Bosch unit (10 years old in November, natural gas).

All this stuff can help with a hurricane, which is what we deal with near the gulf coast.

Ken T.

...semi truck generator! Does it give the small engine a good workout?
    It's a Delco 30SI, with a direct coupling...Martin 4J 3/4 Quadraflex Coupling Flange plus there is a rubber collar that connects two of these couplers....90 Amp Alterator.

Honda GX160 engine, and yes, if fully loaded, it will flat kill the engine. For ShiTTs/Grins, I hooked this setup upto a 2-1/2 ton truck with electric hydralic host, when raising bed, engine shut down.

But, charging a battery, it runs fine, which was its intended design. I wanted a direct coupling, not belts, which would allow different pulley sizes.

Aligning engine's crankshaft to Delco alternator's may not be a piece of cake. Once quadraflex couplers were on, I used a one-sided razorblade, held perpendicular to couplers and moved razor blade around couplers.

Vehicle

Direct coupling is definitely the way to go. I figured that monster sized alternator would do more than 90 amps, but I am guessing that's a really long mile alternator; real severe duty.

I've got an extra 5 hp Briggs IC around that's in good health that I've been wanting to hitch up, but it's a vertical shaft unit.

Ken T.

...I figured that monster sized alternator would do more than 90 amps...

It could be a 105 amp, but that style 30SI had been around for a long number of years, with its J180 hinge-mount. In later years, truckers "needed" more amps, to power up their DC-AC interters, fridges, microwaves, TV, and Sat-TV. Its also a brushless alternator, so if bearings have not shelled out, they can be rebuilt on the cheap. I rebuilt one with new bearings, and reg/rectifier/etc kit.

I think once it hits a certain RPM, it will self ignite

I built another one using a LEECE NEVILLE 8HC2027PA, which is seen around boating world; years ago, on those smaller Mack van trucks used for local deliveries. It's not a high amerage one, but it is an IGNITION EXCITE, which means a 12-volt signal wire is used to turn on alternator.

Both are BI-DIRECTIONAL, so it makes no difference on spin direction.

Vehicle

...well I have a new problem. My battery, which is basically new as a surface voltage of 0V.

Any thoughts on how to recover a new batter that was allowed to die completely.

Ken T.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast