Thread: Trunk luggage rack removal? also, cliche "will these wheels work" question

Vehicle
    89 Century 3300

Default Trunk luggage rack removal? also, cliche "will these wheels work" question

I'll have more questions for another thread, but for right now I'm trying to figure out how to remove the trunk luggage rack without destroying anything.

It's definitely bolted through the sheet-metal (you can see nuts on the underside), but there are rubber inserts on all the rails which likely need to be pulled out first to get at the heads of the bolts.
    The leading ends on the rails look like they might come out, maybe those need to pop out first? I dunno, I didn't wanna just go in and blindly start prying away at things.
    Is there a specific way I should go about this?

----------------------------------------------------
    WHEELS
    [disclaimer] I've skimmed the wheel fitment guides/posts a few times, and I have a general understanding of what I have to consider when putting different wheels on the vehicle.

I will be replacing the whole suspension to coincide with the new wheels, and I will be using loaded loaded struts up front; as I understand, that should give me some more clearance for a wider wheel.

The details for a stock steel wheel are:
    560-1332A Steel, 14 Hole, 115mm BC
    14x5.5 5x115 +44

I have two sets of rims I've been considering; one is a 15 inch set off of an early 2000s century;
    560-4039 Aluminum, 16 Spoke, Machined Finish, opt PG5
    15x6 5x115 +52

I forget what size tire I was going to put on these.

and another off of a late 90s Park Ave
    560-4020 Aluminum, 7 Spoke, Chrome, opt P05
    16x6.5 5x115 +51

I planned on getting 205/55/16 wheels for these

These have higher offset than the stock steel wheels, so they will sit further into the wheel wells... Should I worry about this if I'm using struts that are smaller than the original stock suspension?
    Would it be reasonable to get maybe a +7mm spacer?
    If I got the spacer, how likely would it be that the outside edge of the wheel might hit the edge of the well?
    I've compared specs on a couple websites; http://www.willtheyfit.com/ and https://www.wheel-size.com/ but still can't fully make sense of all the different metrics involved.

Should I be to worried about fitment of either of these? I dont have tires to test, I was hoping to just go ahead and order a set of tires for whichever rims I decided on after I did a bunch of the other work I'm planning to do.

Thanks in advance if anyone has some help to offer

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

I have on my 95 Buick century is a 15 inch 6.5 wide 2002 chevy Malibu wheel with 205-65-15 and she's fine with no issues . Gm cars pretty much use close to the same off set plus or negative . The grand am wheels 15-16 will fit ,the alero will fit the oldsmobile cutlass supreme will fit . The 92 regal will fit fine just use the tire needed to fit

I've taken one of those luggage racks off before with the hope of turning it into some sort of spoiler, a thought I later abandoned because of exactly what you will encounter. Permanent holes in your trunk. I feel like if you want a lid without a rack your best bet would be to go find one at a junkyard and replace the whole thing and paint it to match. You would have to paint it anyway after filling the holes if you were to try and keep the one you have.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

His paint looks pretty good. I never got why GM wanted to do that luggage rack; never appealed to me. It looks so.......LeBaron (as in Lee Iaccoca woodie look).

I'd probably do the best I could to separate it, and let a good paint and body shop patch and paint match it. Get a 3rd light from a non-racked car.

Ken T.

Vehicle
    89 Century 3300

Whoops, I just realized I didn't say what I was trying to do.

I work at a junkyard.
    MY car (blue) doesn't have the rack, but I WANT one lol
    i've been waiting to see if we get another blue car WITH a rack, so I could just swap the trunk, but I haven't been so lucky.
    The rack on the grey car is in good condition, so I figured I'd just swap it, but I don't know how to take it off without destroying anything...
    I was wondering if anyone knew how it came apart; there are bolts, but they're concealed by the rubber inserts on the tops of the rails, and I wasn't sure if the rubber pieces are just simple inserts that I could pry out or something like that.

As far as the wheels go, I'd like to know if a +7 or +8mm spacer might cause any problems. One one of those wheel calculator websites, it looks like a spacer will put the center of the 16" Park Ave rims right in the same spot as the stock 14" steel rims that are on it now... I figured that might give me the best handling characteristics, as well as filling out the wheel wells a little more and giving the car a wider appearance, but I wasn't sure if that might cause the insides of the tires to rub at full steering lock.