Thread: 96 2.2 Olds Ciera timing issue?

Question 96 2.2 Olds Ciera timing issue?

At 178k timing chain wore out. Car still ran fine. Replaced the timing set, and tensioner with oem. Also took the time to add an egr block-off plate. (planning to get a new ecm and have it programmed soon)

After the job was finished, on first the starts the idle wasn't nearly as good as before, and i can smell it's running rich through the cat and exhaust. At operating temp (160) the idle gets even worse and even driving around the block the engine is all rev and no ass.

I expected a p1406 for the egr, and it indeed threw a ses light. No other codes showed up with my cheapo scanner. Deleted the code, and borrowed a buddies scanner that has a few live data readouts. Let the car cool down overnight.

Even though i tried to get dot to dot, and thought i had, the viewing angle was difficult. So i suspected with all the symptoms and the timing repair, i had a timing problem. From cold to operating temp the scanner showed the advance slowly swinging from -1 to -26 degrees. At temp, the readout showed the same but rapidly, and idle was very lopey. I got another egr code, but this time I deleted it live. When I did, the idle went into open loop mode (i assume) and went to a middle ground. The timing changed back to the same readings as it had while warming up, swaying from -1 to -26 degrees advanced but again, not nearly as rapid.

My gut says i missed something or i'm a tooth off. I didn't use compression tdc to line up the dots, as i've always been taught on ei engines it didn't matter?

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

I just did the chain about 18 months ago on my own 2.2 in my S10, the big difference is mine was the updated motor (98+) and it had no EGR when it rolled off the assembly line.

It is good you used OEM chain and tensioner; aftermarket chains and tensioners for the 2.2. have a bad reputation, even (and especially Cloyes). IIRC, the dots are on the tensioner, and they may not be real easy to see. What I did after took off the cover, was to turn the crank over by hand until the marks were lined up, and then I pulled the sprokets ( I replaced mine). But, in theory, if you have the marks lined up, and you don't move anything....you should be good. I think I put the cam sprocket on with the chain before i bolted it to the cam. I can imagine that it's pretty interesting in a transverse mount setup.

Aside from that, not being too familliar with the 2.2 on the a-platform, I'm guessing an assembly error somewhere. Just for grins I'd put the EGR back on and see where you are at.

Ken T.

Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    I just did the chain about 18 months ago on my own 2.2 in my S10, the big difference is mine was the updated motor (98+) and it had no EGR when it rolled off the assembly line.

It is good you used OEM chain and tensioner; aftermarket chains and tensioners for the 2.2. have a bad reputation, even (and especially Cloyes). IIRC, the dots are on the tensioner, and they may not be real easy to see. What I did after took off the cover, was to turn the crank over by hand until the marks were lined up, and then I pulled the sprokets ( I replaced mine). But, in theory, if you have the marks lined up, and you don't move anything....you should be good. I think I put the cam sprocket on with the chain before i bolted it to the cam. I can imagine that it's pretty interesting in a transverse mount setup.

Aside from that, not being too familliar with the 2.2 on the a-platform, I'm guessing an assembly error somewhere. Just for grins I'd put the EGR back on and see where you are at.

Ken T.
    I did the same, and yes with the transverse mounting the whole job was frustrating but the topper was the cam gear with the chain on it lining up haha. But the crank gear is keyed and the cam gear has a locator hole so it really doesn't matter. If I pull he cover off again and choose not to burn the car down as that would be less frustrating, Ill make sure #1 piston is at tdc and the valves (after sprocket is off) matches.

I could put the egr back on but I bypassed the egr tube so it wouldnt do anything for motor function. It would stop the code from popping but that's it.
    Last edited by Spacecataz; 10-08-2017 at 09:27 AM.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Let us know how it goes. Can you get a pic of the tensioner and sprockets?

Thanks,
    Ken T.