Thread: 1986 Buick Somerset

Default 1986 Buick Somerset

Came across a red 86 Somereset Eurosport while driving home from work. Talked to the owner and he says he bought it off the original owner with 60k miles. Now has 80k. Has an auto transmission. Body has some rust near wheel wells. Interior somewhat worn. Says he's not really interested in selling right now since it's his only car but seemed open to selling. Anyone know where to find production numbers for this car? Or approximate value? Are repair parts readily available for the Somerset? I'm mostly familiar with Centuries. Trying to decide if and how much I would offer. This would be car #7, so wife may veto it anyways lol. I love seeing cool old cars still out on the road. Will try to post a pic of it sometime in the next couple weeks.

Vehicle
    vantruckcarcarcarcar

The sporty Somerset for 86 was the T-Type, so if it was badged Eurosport the owner made it as the Eurosport was a Celebrity. I had an 87 and it was pretty bulletproof, but interior and body parts will pretty much only be available as salvage. Everything mechanical is available as it is a twin to the Pontiac Grand Am and Olds Cutlass Calais. Being an 86 it would have the pod mounted radio and either be a 2.5 Iron Duke or a Buick 3.0 V-6. Beware rust though as like all N-Bodies of this vintage they do like to rust. Pay particular attention to the inner wheelhouses in the rear!
    Matt's Cheap Fleet
    • 2015 Verano - Wife's daily
    • 1989 S-10 backup daily/project truck
    • 1989 Celebrity sedan - My Daily
    • 1987 Cavalier RS convertible - future project, the price was right!
    • 1986 Celebrity Eurosport coupe - Coupe Addiction I
    • 1985 Celebrity coupe - Coupe Addiction II
    • 1981 Citation X-11 - Rolling Restoration/Hatchback addiction I
    • 1957 Task Force 3800 Panel - Storage Unit Inhabitant *Now for sale!

Vehicle
    1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette, 1989 GMC Sierra C1500, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT

3558 1986 Somerset T-Types made. 6 of them were 2.5 powered and I believe all of them were 5 speeds, the rest were 3.0/auto.
    Last edited by SexySilhouette; 10-18-2017 at 01:21 AM.
    Jay

Thanks for the info. It's an interesting little car.

Quote Originally Posted by SexySilhouette View Post
    3558 1986 Somerset T-Types made. 6 of them were 2.5 powered and I believe all of them were 5 speeds, the rest were 3.0/auto.
    Do you know if those 4cyl/5speed cars used the 282 or the Izuzu unit? Just wondering, as I don't know which of those trannies hit GM production first.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe, '86 Eurosport sedan, '86 Eurosport sedan, '88 Eurosport VR coupe, '88 Eurosport wagon, '93 Ciera sedan