Thread: Stalling in gear issues.

Vehicle
    1988 Ciera Sl Coupe FE3 & 1988 Ciera International Coupe

Default Stalling in gear issues.

I finally got around to putting the 1989 Celebrity 2.8L I bought last year on the road. It's got 46K on it and at a glance didn't need much, just some cleaning and minor body work. I drove it extensively for the first time this week, taking it to work, a 22 mile trip that includes 15 miles of highway.
    The first trip in was fine, everything normal at highway speeds, but the drive home, getting off the highway, it shuddered and stalled. It started right up again and I continued home. I think it stalled again at a light, but started right up and took me home. I brushed it off to sitting idle for a while or perhaps an EGR valve issue.
    The next time, no real problems going to or from work.
    Today, on the way in it stalled once at the bottom of the highway exit, but started right up and got me to work.

On the drive home, I hit about 10 minutes of brutal bumper to bumper crawling traffic on the highway and it started shuddering right before an exit. I took the exit, and it shuddered made some crazy rubbing sound and stalled at the bottom. It would then start right up, but the second I put it into D it would die instantly. I had to push it into a parking lot.
    Checking under the hood, nothing seemed amiss. Tranny fluid level is fine and it isn't brown and doesn't smell burnt. I the parking lot I kept trying to move, but every time I put it in gear, it died.

Working on the theory that maybe if I let it cool down the problem might go away, I waited about 45 minutes, started the car put it in gear and it ran fine as I tried to make the last 3 miles home. There was stop and go city traffic and it shuddered and died again at a stop sign about 1/4 mile from home. Waited 15 minutes, started up and made it home.

Tranny issues are my Achilles heel. I don't even know where to start with this one, if this indeed sounds like a tranny issue.
    I did notice that it will sometimes crank in N but I mostly had to put it in P to start it, if that means anything.

Any ideas?

thanks

Dan

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

Sounds like a sticking TCC solenoid, probably a 3 speed automatic.
    Jerry

Vehicle

It is a 3 speed.

Sounds familiar. When my TCC solenoid would stick (fortunately, it was only occasionally), I quickly opted for the "rolling stop". If it was at a red light... Well, let's just say I sometimes would just roll a right turn without stopping on red LOL.
    1988 Fiero GT 2.8
    2002 Impala 3.4
    2006 Cobalt SS 2.4

Vehicle

Is a sticking TCC solenoid issue something that can be helped, even if slightly, by a fluid change?

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

Very unlikely, the solenoid needs replaced.
    The good news is that it is relatively simple with the 3 speed (under the side cover of the transmission) which can be removed in the car, IIRC. A $15-$40 part, even an AC-Delco available with the internal wiring harness;

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/c...solenoid,17903

A good time to change the fluid and filter too.
    Jerry

Vehicle

Ok. Thanks. And I see the other threads discussing this issue. Seems like a pretty straight forward job.