Thread: Front Brake Hose Upgrade

Vehicle
    1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera

Default Front Brake Hose Upgrade

I performed this modification to my A-Body over 2.5 years ago with no drawbacks. Figured I should type it up for the community's benefit. With third party image hosting changing on the internet, you won't be getting any photos from me here. If you have any questions, post a reply.

Looking for a firmer brake pedal? Here's great start.

Note: Brake Fluid is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water. Minimize skin contact with brake fluid, your body will absorb it into your bloodstream!!

Before you consider replacing your original hoses I strongly suggest you evaluate the condition of your current brake fluid. Hygroscopic brake fluid naturally absorbs water as it heat cycles and the water is carried in the fluid to prevent it from settling in various parts of the system. A simple brake fluid flush will do more for a tired brake system than swapping rubber hoses for braided hoses. With that said, here goes...

Fragola offers some pre-made stainless brake hoses. Their products are developed and manufactured in the USA and typically cost less than their competitors like Russell or Earl's. If you doubt your ability to make AN hoses, this is an excellent alternative. Most failure stories I have seen on various forums on the internet cite the fitting/hose connection as the failure point. These hoses are -3 AN hose with -3 AN female fittings. This slightly drops the volume of the brake system and also lowers the surface area of hose/fluid contact area, resulting in a firmer pedal with less deflection like you may feel with standard rubber hoses.

Hose fitting ends:
    The A-Body & U-Body vehicles have a 3/8-24 brake line & use a M10x1.50 banjo bolt.
    A-Body hose length: 16 inches
    U-Body hose length: 16 5/8 inches

Steel Tubing Adapter: Male -3AN fitting & Female 3/8-24 I.F. fitting (Fragola #650201)
    Steel Banjo Bolt: M10x1.50 (Fragola #650153)

Fragola offers some premade brake lines with one end having a 3/8inch Banjo Fitting and the other with a -3 straight female.
    This series of hose is P.T.F.E. and has a clear cover which provides excellent durability/longevity to road debris as well as preventing rusting of the braided hose.
    16 inch length: 331016
    18 inch length: 331018

To secure the hose to the strut ear, purchase an assortment package of the rubber bracket tangs and run a bolt/nut through it. Attach to the factory mounting ear on the strut like your old rubber hoses did.

I realize the vast majority of the members on this board do not have any interest in parts which perform better than OEM with a price tag that exceeds the regular OEM hose. Nonetheless, I wanted to type this up to show to any individuals that are un-compromising such as myself. We do have choices, and this is an excellent OEM+ solution!
    Last edited by Zaloryan; 11-04-2017 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Formatting Error
    What is this & what does pulling it out do?

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Zaloryan,

A lot of these cars are due to new hoses anyways. I know I replaced one about 5 years ago. Do you have a pic of your install?

Thanks,
    Ken T.

Vehicle
    1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera

With Photobucket dropping third party image hosting, I don't have a picture to post here. However, send me a PM with you email address and I can email you a picture.
    What is this & what does pulling it out do?