Thread: Manual transmission conversion.

Vehicle
    1992 Buick Century Wagon

Default Manual transmission conversion.

I've heard of swapping manual transmissions into factory automatic A-bodies using parts from factory i][manual[/i] A-bodies, but such A-bodies are nearly impossible to find. I've searched nationally several times every week for more than three years without any luck.

Has anyone successfully completed a swap using parts from a different donor vehicle? Manual shift J-bodies, for example, are FAR easier to find, and used identical drivetrains. However, I wonder how well other items involved in the conversion (pedal assembly, master cylinder, linkage, half shafts, etc) would work from the mismatched donor.

My wagon currently runs a 2.5L / TH125 and I would like to have a 3.1L / Getrag 282.

I've never attempted a transmission swap in a FWD vehicle, though I assume this one may be easier than some because of the droppable cradle.

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

Yes a few on this forum did . But honestly finding the Manuel parts to complete it to look like factory are almost non exsistance . A lot of gm psrts u can make work but the transmission needs to be from a A body car for mounts set up.

Vehicle
    1992 Buick Century Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Keiths1976 View Post
    Yes a few on this forum did .
    They converted their automatics to manuals with parts from non A-body donor vehicles? Remember the user names, by chance?

I might try my luck with a junk Z24 instead of waiting around for that unicorn 5-speed Eurosport.

Vehicle
    1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, 2007 Subaru Legacy GT

Manual transmissions were supposed to be really common in the Mexican cars, and because of some law at the time Mexico sold the celebrity, century and ciera all under the chevy logo for a while. So it would seem you should be able to get what you need from mexico, just not sure how to get it from there.

Vehicle

zaloryan ( had a 1990 ish Oldsmobile ciera with a 3.3 auto )

Vehicle

He swapped it over with a a body tranny but some parts else wise I think another post he went over a lot of what he it . Iím going by sheer memory not looking at posts to find the info .. forgive me

1959 Chevrolet Apache 31 235 I-6 SM420
    1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Conv 350-4 V8 THM350
    1988 Chevrolet Celebrity Eurosport 2.8 V-6 Getrag 5 Speed

Early Berettas came with the correct 282 also. The shifter fits too. Fiero mounts can be obtained. The real hard part is the clutch pedal. NOS master/slave assemblies were available for quite a while, but those are probably all long gone now.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe, '86 Eurosport sedan, '86 Eurosport sedan, '88 Eurosport VR coupe, '88 Eurosport wagon, '93 Ciera sedan

Vehicle
    1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette, 1989 GMC Sierra C1500, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT

Quote Originally Posted by 86euro View Post
    Early Berettas came with the correct 282 also. The shifter fits too. Fiero mounts can be obtained. The real hard part is the clutch pedal. NOS master/slave assemblies were available for quite a while, but those are probably all long gone now.
    I don't think J or L or N bodies have the right mounts for an A body. Seems the A body was shared with the W body.
    Jay

Vehicle
    1992 Buick Century Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by SexySilhouette View Post
    I don't think J or L or N bodies have the right mounts for an A body. Seems the A body was shared with the W body.
    Though still rare, I see more of these than manual trans A-bodies:

https://louisville.craigslist.org/ct...575398079.html
    https://fayar.craigslist.org/cto/d/1...571463608.html
    https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d...572377735.html

I didn't think the platforms were similar enough to consider as donors, though.

Vehicle
    1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette, 1989 GMC Sierra C1500, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT

I'd like to know how they got a 284 rebuilt, they are essentially unrebuildable.
    Jay