Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting to be about that time again...need another A-body

Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    That's the story of auto repair over the last few decades. The repair isn't bad; what's bad is un-peeling the onion to get to the repair. This was already the case for the a-body, but in 1996 when I was shopping for a new car, the a-body was the least cramped and most serviceable on the mid sized market at the time. The '96 Ford Taurus was the absolute WORST; that was the first year of the suppository/jelly bean shaped Taurus cars. I look at what it took too just replaced the drive belt and walked away. At least in 1996 you could get your arm into the bay of the Buick.

Ken T.
    Looking at it now, it's crazy to think that the A-body was available at the same time as the jelly Bean Tauras. Those two cars couldn't be farther apart, from an engineering standpoint. Well, and looks too, lol.

But these days, all the new cars look like they were sculpted by the same person and produced by the same manufacturer.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Andy,

Yeah, they had one year of crossover. I wasn't really looking for the a-body in particular at the time. I drove a brand new '83 Celeb in driver's ed, but I didn't really appreciate the car then, as it was a new design. But, my wife, true to her conservative nature, really appreciated the old style climate controls and the rest of the interior. At that point I was thinking "Oh yeah.... that's the old GM a-body!" I really liked the refreshed grill; looked BMW-ish. I asked the salesman, "Can you get a Buick 3.8 in that?" The answer was no, but we bought it anyway. It turned out to be a fantastic first new car. Still have it. Waiting for me to do something about the transmission.

"But these days, all the new cars look like they were sculpted by the same person and produced by the same manufacturer."

Too close to the truth buddy!

Ken T.

I just wish I could say I bought an A-body as a new car. Or any new car really. But I just don't see that happening anymore, so I'll have to rely on the memories of being with my dad when he bought something new. Or almost, lol. I remember being SOOOO close to having him talked into a new '96 Impala SS.

And to Alan, if you are interested, I know we're there's a complete and rust free Celebrity 4dr that's been sitting in a guys back lot for many years. I don't remember if it was an '84 or '85. I'm almost positive it was a 2.5, but maybe a 2.8 with a carb. It's been several years since I looked at it. It's a light/medium blue with a blue interior. Could probably be had for 200-300 bucks. However, it's in South Central VA, Blackstone to be specific. I could help with pickup arrangements, potentially even picking it up for you if you aren't in a rush. At the very least, I could make arrangements for you to stay the night at our company's rental house while you were in town to pick up the car.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

check craigslist Johnstown-Altoona pa for a 89 6000. very tempting but I need suv

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by 86euro View Post
    I just wish I could say I bought an A-body as a new car. Or any new car really. But I just don't see that happening anymore, so I'll have to rely on the memories of being with my dad when he bought something new. Or almost, lol. I remember being SOOOO close to having him talked into a new '96 Impala SS.

And to Alan, if you are interested, I know we're there's a complete and rust free Celebrity 4dr that's been sitting in a guys back lot for many years. I don't remember if it was an '84 or '85. I'm almost positive it was a 2.5, but maybe a 2.8 with a carb. It's been several years since I looked at it. It's a light/medium blue with a blue interior. Could probably be had for 200-300 bucks. However, it's in South Central VA, Blackstone to be specific. I could help with pickup arrangements, potentially even picking it up for you if you aren't in a rush. At the very least, I could make arrangements for you to stay the night at our company's rental house while you were in town to pick up the car.
    Well, she's not new any more, but everything she's been through I know...especially when it comes to service. I think the hardest thing to find when looking used is getting a clean interior. Very hard, very rare, and when they come along they are more expensive. Remember that '90 Century that was on ebay that was showroom new with something like 100 miles on it? That thing went for $5k, and I think that was a bargain. It had the 3300, and all it really lacked was the the 4T60 trans (it had the 3T40).

Still, there are some really straight ones out there like the '95 I bought that was driven by an old lady. Another old lady around the block from me has a pair of Ciera's (one blue and one white). Perfect condition too; both are garage kept.

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1993 Buick Century 3300 V6

I know what you mean Ken. A few years ago a friend(car salesman)of mine had a super low mileage '93 Century on his lot. Fully loaded, all original and perfect in every way. Like the day it was originally delivered. Still had the factory plastic on the seats, window sticker and original factory mats in the trunk. Went for 8000 dollars and they were saying it went cheap. I have not seen one like that again........not since the day I bought mine. God how I wish these were still being made.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123