Thread: 88 Ciera International 4dr Project

Default 88 Ciera International 4dr Project

Had to rescue this from copart. 1988 Cutlass Ciera International 4dr. 50k original miles.. Pretty much every option you could get that year including the CF5 astroroof, remote trunk release, in addition to all the standard international series options like the 3.8, overdrive Fe3, buckets/console.. The headliner is perfect, being from Reno its rust free, and after a battery, a power steering flush and some cleanup it started right up and drives. It got up to temp, fans kicked on temp came down and fans kicked off. No leaks so far from driving it around the lot and sitting. Sun has took its toll on the paint and all the plastics and sitting for at least 6 months at copart didn't help either. Tires aren't the correct size, but tread looks new and not dry rotted, obvious front end damage at some point as the header panel/grill and bumper are from an 89/90 ciera. Rear view mirror isn't the correct dual reading lamp version, guessing the sun melted the other one off at some point in its life.. Could use window felt strips but rest of weatherstripping looks decent, just needs to be re-glued back into place. Old tint needs to be removed or replaced. Dash can use some help as they all do, and some more interior cleanup is needed. But its running and driving so this will be a daily / project. All electrics work including the sunroof, windows, seat, trunk release. Obviously paid more to ship the car than its worth but growing up with these cars, and being a car guy this one got the better of me. Eventually plans will be to re-paint the exterior black with the silver bottom like from the original 88 brochures, find the correct front bumper with the fog lamps and either find the correct header panel or at least the international series emblem that belongs there. Fix all other missing emblems and trim/etc. Clean up the engine bay and probably get a set of 15" rims from the 88/toronado that match but can find tires easier for.

Michael

Looks great! What a find. The sunroof option is super rare. Looks like it just needs a light restoration.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Someone, some time back did a REALLY COOL leather steering wheel restoration just a couple of years ago, but I am sure Photobucket nuked it. When he was done, it was like new factory! Dang! I wish I had captured that one.

Looks like the car was well cared for, and it's perfectly equipped!

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1993 Buick Century 3300 V6

Very nice.

yeah it sucks photobucket killed a lot of good threads on this board... After driving it a little last week i realized why it has low mileage, odometer doesn't work, probably a busted gear as usual. So who knows how many miles were put on after it broke. But does seem in too decent of shape to be that much more

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Being an '88, does that thing have an actual speedo cable? I was thinking, they converted to speed sensors sometime in the late 80's

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette, 1989 GMC Sierra C1500, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT

1988 still had a cable.
    Jay

Vehicle
    1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette, 1989 GMC Sierra C1500, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT

Foss U-Pull-It, La Grange, NC.
    Jay

Vehicle
    1994 Ciera, 3.1 MPI

Wow, love that interior and the GAUGE SET! : - )~

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Salvage View Post
    Wow, love that interior and the GAUGE SET! : - )~
    Yeah, that one has the complete package from the factory. She just need restoration!

Ken T.

Finnaly able to do a ton of work to her.

New KYB Front Struts, rear bilstien shocks, new mounts all around, and set of eibach lowering springs.
    All new brakes front to back
    Refinished all 4 wheels
    new Oldsmobile gunmetal center caps
    New ICM, Coils, Plugs, Wires, O2 Sensor, PVC valve and gromet, new dogleg.
    Cleaned the valve covers and new gaskets.

Not pretty to look at, cosmetics come next but should be sound enough to drive now daily after a brake fluid flush and drum adjustment.

Pic of the eibach springs on below.

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1

Nice find. Looks great. Good solid ones are harder to come by these days. Once you've got that, anything else can be fixed or bolted on.

I notice the rise in the hood on the drivers side. Mine started doing that from the design of the old prop rod. The rod was redesigned for 1992+ I believe, it props the hood front and near center where it carries the load better. After some advice from this board, I swapped one of those onto mine.
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, summer daily driver
    1989 Cutlass Cruiser wagon, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, special summer ride
    1996 Cherokee XJ 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed, winter daily driver & towing vehicle
    1991 Tracker 2 door, 1.6, 5 speed, needs work
    Previously several Celebritys, 6000s, & 2 U-vans

Yeah i'll try to fix that when i strip and paint it this winter. Just finally got everything mechanical straightened out this past weekend. Cracked new spark plug had me scratching my head for weeks. Plus none were even remotely gapped right. Glad its not my torque converter. Only symptom was bucking/misfire once the TCC locked up. If the plugs weren't brand new i would of checked that sooner. SO now it also has all new Fuel Injectors, new FPR, new correctly gapped plugs, new tranny filter and gasket(needed it anyways), and now drives like a dream. just needs an alignment/wheel balance in its future, then drive it all summer till winter when i plan to strip it down and re-paint it black/grey two tone and fix all the weather stripping and window felts in the process. Will probably put on the correct front bumper, header panel and grill that the International series in 88 is suppose to have that i found out in PA even if its the wrong color at some point this summer, hate that someone put the wrong front end on at some point in its life when it must of gotten hit in the front.