Thread: Storage

Default Storage

Hey I'm new to this site, but I've read a lot of interesting posts. I have an 87 Cutlass Ciera 2.8v6. I have to store it for a few years. I filled the gas tank before I parked it and put in a bottle of fuel stabilizer. It could be a few years before I can drive, can I put in a bottle of stabilizer once a year or so or will the gas go bad anyway? Thanks

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by Silver87 View Post
    Hey I'm new to this site, but I've read a lot of interesting posts. I have an 87 Cutlass Ciera 2.8v6. I have to store it for a few years. I filled the gas tank before I parked it and put in a bottle of fuel stabilizer. It could be a few years before I can drive, can I put in a bottle of stabilizer once a year or so or will the gas go bad anyway? Thanks
    I've had mine laid up in the garage for 3 years with no stabilizer (premium gas). I had to do a LIM repair. I did pull the injectors and have them rebuilt and replaced the fuel filter. But the gas was fine. Again I had been running Shell Premium through her.

Here's a video of my cold start on 3 year old gas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D_5JI8nWoE

featuring the fastest 20 second wait of my life! I was a bit nervous.

Your 2.8 is very similar to my 3100, but they have different challenges. The injectors on your 2.8 are more prone to failure than the 3100, but at least your LIM gasket is no worry.

Ken T.

Thanks Ken, I've replaced my injectors. I went with "standard auto" brand injectors from rock auto, don't know how long they'll last but so far ok. I try to use AC Delco parts when I can but the Delco injectors were wayyyy to expensive. And I only put 87 octane gas in it.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by Silver87 View Post
    Thanks Ken, I've replaced my injectors. I went with "standard auto" brand injectors from rock auto, don't know how long they'll last but so far ok. I try to use AC Delco parts when I can but the Delco injectors were wayyyy to expensive. And I only put 87 octane gas in it.

If that's the case, with stabilizer, I think she would probably be good for 2 or 3 years with good gas that doesn't have any alcohol in it. I'd recommend a new fuel filter.

Ken T.