Thread: NOS front struts?

Default NOS front struts?

How reliable would circa 2001-ish NOS struts be?
    I actually already bought them. They are for the front of my '89 STE. I didn't want a generic pair attempting to maintain the true "STE" experience and the GM parts books list different p/n's for almost every different version of every different a-body, and all the current aftermarket books list one or two for almost all years all a-body's. Spring rates are another point...all the aftermarket ones seems to be strut/sprint combo, but the gm books again show lots of different spring rates depending on what engine, car, package etc..
    My STE seems to be a bit weak up front, nose dives on hard brakes and a bit more bouncy than it should be. I found a NOS set of struts (no springs) for the front, but when they arrived, I can pull the rod out and it's fairly difficult to do so, but pushing it back in...is super easy. I cycled it a few times and it tighten up quite a bit but still seems to be way too easy to push back in.

The rears are also concern, they leak down fairly quickly and they are not to be found of course (I think some member posted here 10+ years ago that he got the last NOS set of those weirdo air struts), in doing research the 2000-2005 g-body cars with rear air struts are the same general characteristics aside from the lower mounting, I may just try to graft on the STE's lower housing with it's tie-rod arm and all to a set of those. That's coming later...

The question here is...will these NOS front struts actually be ok? I don't do many struts, in shocks, they always come tied down to have a shorter box and when you cut the strap they extend and it's really hard to compress them. After cycling them they did tighten up. They may do so alot more once actually installed. I dunno though. They are dated 06/2001. They are are the exact correct P/N for this car.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Well, I suppose if they are gas charged, maybe there's a concern, but that may be unfounded. I had original struts on my Century until just recently...and they were 23 years old. Should be ok, and if the price is right...

I liked the OEM struts on my car. I had to Gabriels that I didn't like; the Monroes are ok. But, I always liked the feel of the OEM struts.

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1993 Buick Century 3300 V6

Quote Originally Posted by Century7667 View Post
    Well, I suppose if they are gas charged, maybe there's a concern, but that may be unfounded. I had original struts on my Century until just recently...and they were 23 years old. Should be ok, and if the price is right...

I liked the OEM struts on my car. I had to Gabriels that I didn't like; the Monroes are ok. But, I always liked the feel of the OEM struts.

Ken T.
    I agree, the o.e.m. struts are the best.