Thread: Input requested: What am I doing wrong?

Default Input requested: What am I doing wrong?

I posted a for sale ad in the appropriate section for a '86 Ciera Brougham that I really want to get rid of by winter. There have been 28 views and..... nothing. This thing is minty clean and fully loaded but needs a 2.8 motor replacement. We see posting of these kinds of cars in junkyards and everyone asks "Why?" and "How could they?" I'm starting to understand how and why this could happen.

So, it is the price? The location (Northern Michigan)? Or something else?

I really am interested in your thoughts about what I am doing wrong with marketing this vehicle as I really want to find it a new home. Thanks in advance for your insights.

Randy

Hi Randy,
    Looked at your posting, but can't see any pics, just something says attached thumbnails and doesn't do anything when clicked on. It's only been posted on here 4 days. $700 for a car with a bad engine and no pics from up North is a hard sell. I'd buy it, but if I bring one more car home, I may find myself living in it while my wife files for divorce.... She's pretty understanding of my cars, but I don't want to push her too far. Also, I didn't see any mileage listed. And is it rusted out from MI salt? Or is it in decent shape underneath? Adding that info may help.

Another suggestion, take pics and post on Craigslist, then insert the link to your Craigslist posting on this site in your thread in the for sale section.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

^^^ above. The thing you are dealing with is usually distance. You need to assure the prospective buyer that the car is worth the trip to look at. Close pics of the underside of the car can dismiss rust out concerns. If the interior is nice, show it off! How does she smell inside? If the body is straight, say so! If she's special, say why (stick to the truth though). I've chased some cars driving hundreds of miles, and I've learned to be skeptical. I would imagine that the MI location leads people to assume she's a rust bucket. If she's not, you need to let people know.

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 2.8

So many cars around here look nice up top but are severely rusted underneath. If yours isn't, I'd show that off. It's gotta be worth someone's while to fix or replace the engine in a 32 year old car. No sense in fixing the engine if the trailing arm is going to separate at the first pothole. People around here have learned to be skeptical when something says no rust, since 9 times out of 10 it's the same old story when they crawl underneath. Maybe add more visual appeal, show how meticulously it's been maintained? Would it be reasonably easy to replace the missing hubcap, the broken door strap, and vacuum the floor? You mention it as a potential parts car, does it have a lot of new parts? Another thing, describing a "must sell before winter" situation, people may be waiting to see if you'll let it go for less come crunch time.

Even so, it might be hard to sell for what it's worth, at least locally. My Cruiser is completely rust free except for surface rust on the cradle (maybe it was replaced with a used one?). Trailing arm brackets, exhaust, gas tank, everything is super clean. I was shocked when I crawled under. The cracked head wasn't an issue to me since I wanted a good clean platform to drop a 3.1 into and be a summer ride for years or decades to come. The interior was spotless and everything worked. And even with that, I first contacted the seller in March. I ran into harder times and wasn't able to do anything until July. Couldn't believe he still had it. Similar price as yours. He said he wanted it to go to someone who would appreciate it, but other than me, he got nothing but lowball offers to turn it into a derby car. I bet if it was posted here in detail, it would have been snapped up quickly.
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, summer daily driver
    1989 Cutlass Cruiser wagon, 2.8 MPFI (future 3.1), 4 speed auto, future summer ride
    1996 Cherokee XJ 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed, winter daily driver & towing vehicle
    1991 Tracker 2 door, 1.6, 5 speed, needs work
    Previously several Celebritys, 6000s, & 2 U-vans

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by tlc1976 View Post
    So many cars around here look nice up top but are severely rusted underneath. If yours isn't, I'd show that off. It's gotta be worth someone's while to fix or replace the engine in a 32 year old car. No sense in fixing the engine if the trailing arm is going to separate at the first pothole. People around here have learned to be skeptical when something says no rust, since 9 times out of 10 it's the same old story when they crawl underneath. Maybe add more visual appeal, show how meticulously it's been maintained? Would it be reasonably easy to replace the missing hubcap, the broken door strap, and vacuum the floor? You mention it as a potential parts car, does it have a lot of new parts? Another thing, describing a "must sell before winter" situation, people may be waiting to see if you'll let it go for less come crunch time.

Even so, it might be hard to sell for what it's worth, at least locally. My Cruiser is completely rust free except for surface rust on the cradle (maybe it was replaced with a used one?). Trailing arm brackets, exhaust, gas tank, everything is super clean. I was shocked when I crawled under. The cracked head wasn't an issue to me since I wanted a good clean platform to drop a 3.1 into and be a summer ride for years or decades to come. The interior was spotless and everything worked. And even with that, I first contacted the seller in March. I ran into harder times and wasn't able to do anything until July. Couldn't believe he still had it. Similar price as yours. He said he wanted it to go to someone who would appreciate it, but other than me, he got nothing but lowball offers to turn it into a derby car. I bet if it was posted here in detail, it would have been snapped up quickly.
    Yep. At the end of day, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay. Timing is everything in this market. If someone is looking for exactly what you have.....$$$

Ken T.