Thread: Ciera hood flimsy?

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1

Default Ciera hood flimsy?

My Cruiser is the first Ciera I've had so I don't know otherwise. Compared to my Celebritys and 6000s, the hood seems rather flimsy. The prop rod anchors right on the edge with little to no structure which doesn't seem to help. The passenger side of the hood sags, and the hood seems to want to fold over right at the hood support, though thankfully it's not kinked. The previous owner showed me and had been taking it easy, and I'm doing likewise. But I think a gust of wind when I'm working on it would be enough to kink it. Are they all this way, or is there maybe a second support or strut that is missing? The paint is perfect so I don't want to weld to it, but I'm thinking of creating a bolt on stiffener for it.
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, summer daily driver
    1989 Cutlass Cruiser wagon, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, special summer ride
    1996 Cherokee XJ 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed, winter daily driver & towing vehicle
    1991 Tracker 2 door, 1.6, 5 speed, needs work
    Previously several Celebritys, 6000s, & 2 U-vans

Vehicle
    Multiple Alfa Romeos

Peruse the local salvage yard for any FWD A-Body, I noticed on some of the newest ones (1992+) that they had a long prop rod which anchored near the passenger headlight and propped the hood (where it should always be propped) in a slot near the hood latch. A Buick Century or Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera may be your best bet, but obviously check all A-Body cars you see, they're getting more uncommon.
    What is this & what does pulling it out do?

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by tlc1976 View Post
    My Cruiser is the first Ciera I've had so I don't know otherwise. Compared to my Celebritys and 6000s, the hood seems rather flimsy. The prop rod anchors right on the edge with little to no structure which doesn't seem to help. The passenger side of the hood sags, and the hood seems to want to fold over right at the hood support, though thankfully it's not kinked. The previous owner showed me and had been taking it easy, and I'm doing likewise. But I think a gust of wind when I'm working on it would be enough to kink it. Are they all this way, or is there maybe a second support or strut that is missing? The paint is perfect so I don't want to weld to it, but I'm thinking of creating a bolt on stiffener for it.
    I've retrofitted my Century cars with the later model Ciera prop rod that is mounted on radiator core support. Since that one supports the hood at the center, not much problems with hood flex. I think Keith might have adapted your prop rod setup to his Century. I don't know if he's got flex issues or not. My general guess is that the later model a-cars had lighter hoods than the 1982 models, and perhaps this is why that side mount prop rod was discontinued in favor of the center/front mounted prop rod. One would think the side rod costs less.

One thing for sure, either setup is much better than the gas charged strut that came in my '96. I bought that car new, and the gas strut was finished by the time the car was 3 years old. Bad sign when NTB guys has a vise grip on your strut to keep the hood off his head.

Ken T.

Vehicle

Thanks all. I'll look for a later style prop rod next time I get to the yard. Maybe tomorrow if the rain clears up.

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

Yea Ken is right I put the driver side fender prop rod on to support the hood in the full upright position . Holds it pretty strong and is sturdy I had the gas strut on my 95 and replaced one ever year or so after 10 years owning I gave up with it Became a vise grip on the gas strut to hold it open . I tried a long hold prop but the century hood doesn’t have the small cut out like the Ciera does . In Which one windy Florida day changing my oil had the hood up with long prop and it shifted causing the hood to fall and slam down and bend the hood catch latch inward . So junk yard run for that part to find the hood catch latch and had a fellow forum buddy find me the side anchor support and presto be happy ever since . Plus ever have to swap a engine it’s full open and supported perfectectly . Thanks Keith

Vehicle

Looking at photos, and going by the memory of the 6000s I had, I'm pretty sure all (if not the later) 6000s had this same prop rod as the later Ciera.

So I went to the yard today. First time I've been there in a few years, been out of the loop for quite some time. One Celebrity (not moved from many years ago). But no other A-bodys. A few U-vans. But what gets me is all the older stuff is still there just the same. They've got stuff from the 70s, 60s, and even earlier. Many things not moved from before which is common. There are tons of 80s GM RWD stuff. Quite a few 90s vehicles and a few 2000 cars. But oddly just about all of the stuff from the late 80s to early 90s is gone, all makes. The yard used to be full of it. I'm thinking of going back soon and grabbing what's left of that Celebrity (headlights, taillights, and rear bumper since mine has a rust hole) before it's gone. And maybe get a U-van stabilizer bar.

There are other yards with pre-pulled and categorized parts but this one I've gone to for almost 20 years and it's the only old school yard I know of.

Vehicle

Found a prop rod from a 95 Ciera at a local non self serve yard. $10. Installed it and what a huge difference. I originally was going to duplicate the 92-96 prop rod opening in my hood with a Dremel tool, but it fits quite securely at the first opening to the drivers side of center. I removed the original rod, I don't want it to get used and the hood to end up folding over.

It seems all years of the Pontiac 6000 came with a hood rod almost just like this. Only difference is it stores in a clip, where the Ciera rod has a rubber dampener so it can just lay there.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by tlc1976 View Post
    Found a prop rod from a 95 Ciera at a local non self serve yard. $10. Installed it and what a huge difference. I originally was going to duplicate the 92-96 prop rod opening in my hood with a Dremel tool, but it fits quite securely at the first opening to the drivers side of center. I removed the original rod, I don't want it to get used and the hood to end up folding over.

It seems all years of the Pontiac 6000 came with a hood rod almost just like this. Only difference is it stores in a clip, where the Ciera rod has a rubber dampener so it can just lay there.
    I'm pretty sure the Ciera had the clip too. In fact, I tried to bring one over to the Century, but there was not provision for it.

Ken T.