Thread: Blinker/Indicator Really Quiet

Vehicle
    1993 Century Custom 3.3L

Lightbulb Blinker/Indicator Really Quiet

Hey guys,

I remember that my 1991 Century I had years back had a really loud tick tock tick tock blinker sound. My 1993 is really quiet, to the point where if I'm moving faster than 25 MPH I literally cannot hear it. I replaced the flasher with an AC Delco flasher thinking maybe I had some cheapo unit in. It made very little to no change.

Anyone know where I can get a flasher relay that sounds a little more like I describe? I've also noticed it seems to flash faster than I think it should, but all indicators work, so it's not flashing double-time like it would if a bulb was out.

Cheers!

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

Buy a modern, electronic one. The old style, thermal ones that used to last for years, are now junk. Make sure it is in the clip in front of the accelerator pedal for maximum sound.
    Jerry

Vehicle
    1993 Century Custom 3.3L

I thought it was supposed to be on a bracket on the accelerator pedal but instead it's way up in the dash behind the gauge cluster. A real bitch to get to.

Vehicle

That sounds like you changed the one for the four way flasher mounted on the 'Convenience Center'. To say it is hard to get to is an understatement. Our '92 and '96 are both near the accelerator.
    Jerry

Vehicle
    1993 Century Custom 3.3L

Strange indeed. I checked turn signal operation with it unplugged and got nothing hazards still worked. I don't know why it's up there but the flasher for the turn signals is up in that black hole.

Vehicle

That is an oddity.
    I've got the 'Convenience Center' thing removed and zip tied to the dash harness in the '96 from when the seat belt module (courtesy lights and seat belt solenoids too) was acting up. I had no intention of ever trying to get at that thing again in the original location. The '92 is still in the original location (I probably couldn't physically reach it now anyway).
    I had to change the turn signal flasher most recently in the '92, as it became intermittent with all the lights working. The retaining clip near the accelerator had deformed the body of the flasher and it had cracked. I had already learned my lesson from the new, thermal flashers (failed just like the reviews said it would) with the '96, so I put an electronic one in the '92 as well. Was able to just unscrew the front edge of the 'hush panel' and swap it.
    Jerry

Vehicle
    1993 Buick Century 3300 V6

Yeah, mine('93 Century)is up in the dash somewhere behind the radio I believe. I replaced it about twenty years ago and haven't had to since. I believe there is another flasher to the left maybe of the steering column and that is for the hazard lights. Don't quote on the location of the one for the hazards as I have never had to deal with that one on my car but I can hear it in there when I turn on the hazards.

Edit: it's weird how you can buy two different flashers and each one may sound different from the other.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

They do sell a "loud" version of the flasher. The flasher is a stock item, so I'd find out what the general part number is for it and search for the loud version. I replaced mine on my '95 about 5 years ago. The new one had a "plastic" can, but remember the option for a "loud" one. I think I got that one while I was on the road at Advance Auto parts, but it's been so long I can't recall.

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1993 Century Custom 3.3L

I saw that "Loud" version but just assumed the AC-Delco would give me the sound I was looking for. Nope! I'll try the loud option and maybe try to mount it to the accelerator pedal bracket instead of up inside the black-hole that is the "convenience" center.