Thread: Driver-Side Door Lots of Wind Noise

Vehicle
    1993 Century Custom 3.3L

Default Driver-Side Door Lots of Wind Noise

Hey again. It's me. Again.

Anyways, my drivers side door has a ton of wind noise coming in when at 50+ MPH. I've located the problem-area to right behind where the seatbelt connects to the door at the top.

Problem is, all the seals seem to be in really good shape. Plump, non-cracked, have a good bounce-back when depressed, but when you stand outside the car you can push the door frame in a good 0.5" with your hands if you push at the top of the frame nearest to the b-pillar.

Door seems to close fine and I haven't had any water damage or visual leaking. Just curious, do these doors warp? Is there an adjustment I can do to suck the door in a little further? Problem is non-existent on the passenger side.

Thanks.

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

Warpage is always a problem for a car of this vintage. Take a piece of paper, a single sheet, and close the door with half the paper on the inside of the, and the other half hanging out the out side of the car. If you can slide it along with no resistance, that means its no longer meeting the seal. Water intrusion and wind noise will be the result. You can try bending the door in by hand by you may risk it bending in the wrong spot, and the window would be jammed. I had the same problem on my 87 6000 LE. I put a block of would inbetween the door and the jam right at the striker, and pushed in until I knew it had moved. Problem was solved, and I got lucky that I did not jam the window.
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 125k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 192k - 05 Buick Rendezvous CXL Sport Plus 61k

Vehicle
    1993 Century Custom 3.3L

I've tried bending it by pulling in on the top corner of the door with the window down, but I didn't want to break it so I never pulled that hard. I'll try your method... Would be GREAT if there was some other way that didn't involve potentially destroying my door lol But I gotta do what I gotta do.

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

How long have you had this car? Unknown previous owner history?

I worked as a roadside assistance contractor a number of years ago. I had to have lockouts sign a waiver saying that their car could be damaged by my intrusion. What you're describing sounds like the sort of damage I was indemnified against: an air wedge forcing the door open enough to get the "giant coat hanger" in to unlock the car. That absolutely would bend the frame by just about a half inch, enough to get the rod in there.
    Daniel
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 214k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
    Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 132k miles.
    Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. Garage ornament. Waiting for an LR4.

Vehicle
    1993 Century Custom 3.3L

I just got the car a few weeks ago. Working through a number of problems. Unknown history, but all-in-all the car is in great shape.

Thanks for everyone's advice, It's not horrible but it is annoying, especially on windy days.

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

If you dont want to mess with bending the door.. You could go to Lowes/HomeDepot, and grab some weather stripping with a tape strip. Place it along the doors where the weather strip would be at, and see if a single layer will fill the gap.
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 125k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 192k - 05 Buick Rendezvous CXL Sport Plus 61k

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by Pontiac6ksteawd View Post
    If you dont want to mess with bending the door.. You could go to Lowes/HomeDepot, and grab some weather stripping with a tape strip. Place it along the doors where the weather strip would be at, and see if a single layer will fill the gap.
    ^^^ This is what i did after my front door repair by the body shop. There was a small gap near the hinge; got that soft adhesive backed foam rubber. Worked great!

Ken T.