Thread: 3300 Intake Gaskets

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

Default 3300 Intake Gaskets

I've had the gaskets for almost 4 years, and it was dripping enough oil on the driveway for me to finally fix it. I had snugged up the corner bolts some time ago, and just like the lousy 3100/3400 gaskets, it works for a while. I figured I better take care of it.

I do admire the serviceability of the Buick powered A-bodies, since I own both. It took me an hour and 25 minutes from first disconnecting the battery (I had drained the coolant last night) to go from this;

To this;

As you can see, these gaskets are crap too;

IIRC, I've seen other 3300s that were machined front and rear for a counterbalance shaft. This one is only machined at the front of the engine.

I'm suspect oil analysis would have shown a problem.

The displaced gasket surfaces were readily seen on the intake too.

The clean up;

Same questionable design;

Got to this point at 16:25 today;

Finishing tomorrow should be easy.
    Last edited by CorvairGeek; 11-18-2018 at 03:25 AM.
    Jerry

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Jerry,

That gasket looks eerily familiar, but for some reason it seems to hold up better on the 3300 than the 3100. Do they offer metal gaskets for the 3300?

Always like the airbox setup for the 3300 better than that one on the 3100. The 3100 air cleaner gets in the way, and I never actually found a good way to pull it out for servicing.

Ken T.

Vehicle

They are marginally better than the original 3100 gaskets as far as a major failure and coolant loss (more plastic carrier and less sealing 'rubber'), IMHO, so that is probably the difference in durability. The plastic carrier composition does look a lot like the 3100, but have no idea how similar they may actually be. Common sense and my cynical side says these were part of the evolution towards something as bad as the gaskets in the 3100/3400 and Chevy V8s.

If there are metal or an improved set(s), I haven't seen them. A quick look over at AZ shows the set now has orange sealing surfaces rather than blue, but they are still the same design (both FelPro) and 10x what I paid for these RA close outs!

I agree about the 3100 air filter set up. The extra surface area of the 3100 filter does allow it to run a lot longer that the little panel filters on the 3300, fortunately.

Some of the ports were so bad, I thought it might change the car's performance. After the relearn of a few miles, I would say it acts exactly the same (not a silky smooth 3100). No complaints though (I like this car far better than the '96 anyway), it has always gotten 19-21mpg in town (EPA rated 19mpg) since I put 52K mile injectors in it around 190K miles (now at 233K). I doubt I will see any mileage change either, especially going into winter, and it sits outside.
    Last edited by CorvairGeek; 11-23-2018 at 04:28 PM.
    Jerry

Vehicle
    1993 Buick Century 3300 V6

When these 3300's were new they came from the factory with a small problem. They leaked oil from the corners. They didn't put enough RTV in those outer edges/corners. We had a lot of them come in under warranty to have new gaskets and some G.M. RTV applied to those corners. We had a bulletin out on it back then. Mine was done during it's second year under warranty and has been sealed and good ever since. I had all the warranty work done on it when I was working at G.M..

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    When these 3300's were new they came from the factory with a small problem. They leaked oil from the corners. They didn't put enough RTV in those outer edges/corners. We had a lot of them come in under warranty to have new gaskets and some G.M. RTV applied to those corners. We had a bulletin out on it back then. Mine was done during it's second year under warranty and has been sealed and good ever since. I had all the warranty work done on it when I was working at G.M..
    That's quite interesting. I thought this one was a little deficient myself in RTV at the corners, compared to other GM engines.

The FelPro directions were contradictory too, something about 'no added sealant is required / suggested', followed by 'add RTV to the corners'. My main feeling was too much RTV would allow the rubber ends to be displaced easily unless fully cured (they do fit snugly on the block). There were also thickened 'triangles' (I can see some on the gray piece) that slid into the very corner of the head / intake gasket junction (easy to miss if you just pushed them on), that compressed when the intake was installed.
    I added sufficient RTV to all the corners, as well as applied some at the ends of the plastic intake gaskets. It looked like to me, that it was far too easy for oil to wick out from the head / intake surfaces with such a plastic gasket, and 89 in/lbs of torque.

I really appreciate that information, Skip. It confirms what I surmised looking at the installation, though it is easy to second guess, and it has lasted 26 years old and 233K miles!
    Last edited by CorvairGeek; 11-24-2018 at 04:56 PM.
    Jerry

Vehicle
    1993 Buick Century 3300 V6

Yup, that was a real common problem back then. Customers would come in with a complaint of an oily smell while driving. It was never much of a leak. Just a drop or two off the corners once in a while. But once it started cooking.........yeah the smell came right in thru the cowl vent. As soon as the tech would pop the hood he could see the oil stains on the corners. Got to the point where they didn't even bother to look anymore. Just put it in the stall and come to me in parts for the gasket setup and do a 21 point inspection while they waited for me to fill the order.

Vehicle
    1987 Alfa Romeo Milano

If you find yourself dealing with a situation where RTV cannot get an area to seal, I have had excellent results with Toyota Form-In-Place-Gasket (FIPG) #103, otherwise known as "Fippage".

You can purchase it from any Lexus or Toyota dealer under part number: 00295-00103

Pricewise, I do not find it to be any more expensive than Permatex or Versachem products. However, take heed of the recommended cure time with Toyota's FIPG. Considering the labor time it takes to disassemble & reassemble some components for FIPG applications, I find it is negligible to not wait overnight before starting an engine back up...
    What is this & what does pulling it out do?

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Zaloryan View Post
    If you find yourself dealing with a situation where RTV cannot get an area to seal, I have had excellent results with Toyota Form-In-Place-Gasket (FIPG) #103, otherwise known as "Fippage".

You can purchase it from any Lexus or Toyota dealer under part number: 00295-00103

Pricewise, I do not find it to be any more expensive than Permatex or Versachem products. However, take heed of the recommended cure time with Toyota's FIPG. Considering the labor time it takes to disassemble & reassemble some components for FIPG applications, I find it is negligible to not wait overnight before starting an engine back up...
    Thanks!

I was more inpatient in my younger days, but I try to allow all sealers to cure overnight now too.
    Jerry

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by CorvairGeek View Post
    They are marginally better than the original 3100 gaskets as far as a major failure and coolant loss (more plastic carrier and less sealing 'rubber'), IMHO, so that is probably the difference in durability. The plastic carrier composition does look a lot like the 3100, but have no idea how similar they may actually be. Common sense and my cynical side says these were part of the evolution towards something as bad as the gaskets in the 3100/3400 and Chevy V8s.

If there are metal or an improved set(s), I haven't seen them. A quick look over at AZ shows the set now has orange sealing surfaces rather than blue, but they are still the same design (both FelPro) and 10x what I paid for these RA close outs!

I agree about the 3100 air filter set up. The extra surface area of the 3100 filter does allow it to run a lot longer that the little panel filters on the 3300, fortunately.

Some of the ports were so bad, I thought it might change the car's performance. After the relearn of a few miles, I would say it acts exactly the same (not a silky smooth 3100). No complaints though (I like this car far better than the '96 anyway), it has always gotten 19-21mpg in town (EPA rated 19mpg) since I put 52K mile injectors in it around 190K miles (now at 233K). I doubt I will see any mileage change either, especially going into winter, and it sits outside.
    That plastic carrier is pretty pervasive. It's also in the TB to UIM interface. Yeah, I bet the fuel injectors make more a difference than anything. When I put my '95 back together with the reworked fuel injectors, it was noticeably smooth with better tip-ins off idle. It's degraded a bit since then, so I may have picked up some trash somwhere, or maybe it's the 23 year old O2 sensor fouled from the silicone I used on the the injector o-rings. Not sure on that.

Just did an oil change on the '95 that my son has been using, the coolant tank is still clean.

I've been just working so much lately, I just never get a chance to work on my '96....let lone get the time to post here to visit you guys.

Ken T.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Zaloryan View Post

I'm patient! If it cures well, and works I'm good with it. I'm so darned slow and meticulous it won't be a problem. A Thompson trait in my family.

Ken T.