Thread: 1989 Chevy Celebrity Sedan

Default 1989 Chevy Celebrity Sedan

I have a 1989 Chevy Celebrity Sedan. 2.8 Multiport V6 FI. It's just a plain old one, not an Eurosport. The interior is in amazing condition, not so much for the exterior. Manual windows. Previous owner ruined it a bit putting a new stereo.(Cheap one. We're going to change it back to stock.) My boyfriend and I are currently in a few restorations on this car along with our 1995 Chevy Silverado extended cab 5.7 V8. I recently bought this car for $650.00 USD. The car ran fairly well for about a month or two. Alternater and belt were the first replacements needed. Desperately needs a tensioner swap(I have new part.)but bolt is stripped and cant get off. After awhile we replaced the throttle cable, water pump, thermostat, radiator, hoses, radiator cap, and coolant. Did a oil change along with the oil filter. Had a rough idle so we had to completely Re-hose almost the whole emissions system and get a new pcv hose. Replaced the battery twice.(left the glovebox open.) New tires. It seems to be running pretty well but not it's best. It makes a bogging noice out of exhaust. We plan to replace sparkplugs next. What bothers me the most is I can feel it shift into second gear. At exactly 25Mph I feel a slight kick I feel it shift into 2nd gear.(Same as my truck but my truck has a shiftKit.) Also there is a blue plug, square plug with four circular plugs on it; it plugs into the transmission. The previous owner told me not to plug it back into the transmission or it could start problems, so I never have. What is it? Why and how could it start problems? Nothing down there has been spliced or rewired. The shift indicator does not read what gear I'm in, it just stays on park. It seems like it gets really really hot under hood but not enough to overheat. But it's hot! Seems like it's too hot. I can feet heat at my feet and legs while driving. Is this normal? My A/c and heater don't work. The fan setting used to work but now that won't even kick on. So yeah, just looking for some help, common issues, things that go wrong, ect. Let's talk Chevy Celebrity.

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT, Mercury Montego

The blue plug is the TCC (torque converter control). You will loose a small bit of fuel mileage with it not plugged in, and dont ever pull a trailer with it not plugged in.

What it does it puts the TC into lockup mode (a poor mans OD basically). It also reduces the internal temp of the transmission when in lockup at highway speeds.

The previous owner telling you not to plug it in means that the the valve is gummed up. What will happen if you plug it in, is you will come off the highway, and as you come to a stop, the car will be acting like a manual transmission, and stall the engine like you didnt push in the clutch pedal. When you place it in park, and restart it, and place it back in drive, the engine will stall again.

It can be repaired easily on the 125C transmission (3 speed), not sure about the 4T60 (4 speed, I remember it being a lot more work thou), and will give you transmission some longer life if it is plugged back in. Video below on how to replace the solenoid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAf8nYBI8Ug
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 120k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 182k - 05 Mercury Montego Premier AWD 52k

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 2.8

Nice, looks like you're on your way to having a car that will last a long time once you get everything worked out. So easy to work on these. I've got over 300k miles on my 89 Celebrity.

I always do the wires with the spark plugs. Seems half the time even when rotating and pulling properly on the boot and having used silicone in the boot, the wire terminal ends up stuck to the plug anyway. Also had a bad plug wire once. Probably the main electrical issue I've had with these engines is the ignition module or coils. While you've got things apart, that might be worth checking out. The 3 coils can be tested with a multimeter, both the front and back side. Autozone (at least the one near me) will test the ignition module for free.
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, summer daily driver
    1989 Cutlass Cruiser wagon, 2.8 MPFI (future 3.1), 4 speed auto, future summer ride
    1996 Cherokee XJ 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed, winter daily driver & towing vehicle
    1991 Tracker 2 door, 1.6, 5 speed, needs work
    Previously several Celebritys, 6000s, & 2 U-vans

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Quote Originally Posted by tlc1976 View Post

I always do the wires with the spark plugs. Seems half the time even when rotating and pulling properly on the boot and having used silicone in the boot, the wire terminal ends up stuck to the plug anyway. Also had a bad plug wire once.
    I strongly agree with this philosophy. After those wires get baked, they generally take a set and disturbing them can cause problems, so I always replace them. If the engine isn't using oil, the AC Delco double platinums *easily* will provide 150k of service....and beyond. I even pulled the stock coppers out of my '95 at 150k, and they really didn't look too bad aside from a bit of wear.

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1993 Buick Century 3300 V6

^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

I had over 180,000 miles on some OEM Delco's installed in a 2.2 in my 2001 S10. I replaced them, the wires, and the coils chasing an intermittent stall. Ultimately it wasn't any of those items, but apparently some bad gas ( the flex fuel 2.2 doesn't recirculate the fuel at the rail, so it took a good while to get it all out of the system). Any ways, I was really sure those plugs would be very tired on that hard working 2.2, but they were fine. I'm sure if I had taken the time to check the gap, they would have been a little wide. But to the naked eye, they looked very close to the new ones going in.

Ken T.