Thread: Help have no power at my Inline fuse for fuel pump

Red face Help have no power at my Inline fuse for fuel pump

I have a 1991 Olds Ciera with a 3300 engine. Got up one morning and it would not start. Car belongs to grandson. The fuel pump wasn't working. I replaced the oil sender . I was able to get the fuel pump to run by disconnecting it. and manually jumped it. I have checked the relay, there is no power at the Inline fuse for fuel pump. I applied power to the red wire of the fuse. Fuel pump ran and car started. When I disconnected wire the car stopped running.

Please help .

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

Sometimes can be fault at the key ignition switch cause itís a key on function to open the curcit for the fuel pump 12 volts to the relay so if the fuse is good relay good pump works when power applied fault is the ignition switch in the Column . Try turning the key slowly from on to acc start and see if u hear the pump kick on wiggle the key cylinder to make contact .

Vehicle

You can run a direct hot wire from battery to pump relay to override the key on function but by toggle switch . Thatís my only theory behind it since there is no fusable link itís a hot lead off the battery ignition switch , fuse and relay . You checked the 10amp fuse next to the fuel pump relay ? Some older gm cars had a aux 10 fuse tied to the fuel pump with key on functions like radio , door chime , cigarette lighter just confirm no other fuses are blown

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Keith as usual has the right track ready!

Ken T.

Vehicle

Well ..... I try my friend I try sometimes my brain skews off from time to time and I get some crazy ideas lol

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century Limited 3100 V6 / 1995 Buick Century Special 3100 V6 / 2001 Chevy S-10 LS 2.2L

Well, there's definite a use for your thinking my friend!

Ken T.

Vehicle
    1993 Buick Century 3300 V6

Keith is very helpful because he thinks outside the box.

Vehicle
    1987 Alfa Romeo Milano

You have done a great job of isolating the fault, but something is causing the fuel pump relay fuse to fail.

If you put a replacement fuse in and it immediately blows, this probably indicates a short-to-ground condition with the fuel pump fuse control circuit.

In any case, the fuel pump relay fuse is designed to be 'Hot at all times.'

The correct way to rectify this condition is to trace the red wire to its positive power source and identify and fix what is causing it to short the circuit.
    The quick way to rectify this condition is to cut the red wire near the fuel pump fuse mounting location and overlay a new wire to the positive terminal of the battery, starter, or fuse block.
    What is this & what does pulling it out do?