Thread: Horn relay location

Default Horn relay location

Hello, my horn stopped working on me. Jumped the horn and it worked. My guess is the relay but I have no clue where its at. 86 century 2.8 if that helps.

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 2.8

Probably the horn button or relay. You could first try popping off the horn button, and with pliers grounding the wire to the shaft to see if the horn goes off. The buttons have a tendency to get dirty or corroded. Also check fuses, I don't know what's all on the horn fuse.

If I remember right, the horn relay is taller than it is wide, is white or orange, and has 3 prongs. Same on several a-bodies I had, even a Corvette I worked on once. Probably in the secondary fuse area under the dash, there's often a flasher and maybe chime on there. First place I'd look is behind the glove box, or under the steering column. I never had a Century so I don't know for sure.

On a very humid summer day, the horn relay decided to bridge on my old 6000. Apparently it went off for most of the afternoon while I was at work all day, the neighborhood was going nuts. Cops came out but didn't open my locked car, they told everybody just wait for it to kill the battery which it did.
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, summer daily driver
    1989 Cutlass Cruiser wagon, 2.8 MPFI (future 3.1), 4 speed auto, future summer ride
    1996 Cherokee XJ 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed, winter daily driver & towing vehicle
    1991 Tracker 2 door, 1.6, 5 speed, needs work
    Previously several Celebritys, 6000s, & 2 U-vans

I took off the cluster panel, under dash of both driver and passenger, and cowl on the hood and found nothing. I haven't tried behind glove box yet, that is where the primary fuse box is tho. Also there is no horn button, first thing I took off was the steering pad, its just foam and copper strips.
    *edit* Nothing behind the glove box.
    Last edited by Classic Rumble; 12-18-2018 at 06:00 PM.