Thread: '95 Cutlass Ciera Torque Converter and Trans

Vehicle
    '95 Olds Cutlass Ciera SL w/3100 4Spd w/OD

Default '95 Cutlass Ciera Torque Converter and Trans

I love my Olds, she's been pretty good to me. However, she has some serious play in the torque converter. I was wondering if at nearly 120,000 miles, would it be worth to simply replace the transmission in it's entirety? It would be around $1,000 for the trans, and I can do it myself. I would just hate to see her finally go. She's seen some abuse in her time, and has never failed me.

Vehicle
    1993 Olds Ceira S, 3300 - 106K - Sapphire blue leather interior

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyOlds View Post
    I love my Olds, she's been pretty good to me. However, she has some serious play in the torque converter. I was wondering if at nearly 120,000 miles, would it be worth to simply replace the transmission in it's entirety? It would be around $1,000 for the trans, and I can do it myself. I would just hate to see her finally go. She's seen some abuse in her time, and has never failed me.
    Since you can do it I'd think it would be worth replacing. 120K isn't many miles for an A-body if the body is still in pretty good shape.

Look around and you may be able to find a salvage tranny for much less than your $1k.
    1993 Olds Ciera S, 3300 - 106K - Sapphire blue leather interior

98 Chevy Venture 3.4L 190K

Vehicle
    1995 buick century custom

I would get a used one from a yard to get her on her feet for a while and then get the repair Manual for the 4t60-e and try and rebuild it to have a spare . Just keep in mind the tranny has to be from a 94-6 Buick century or olds Ciera after that the gearing is different for other cars that used it and can throw the tranny into limp mode . That’s what I am going to do when work isn’t so crazy . You can rebuild one get practice then if the yard one goes swap out and repeat . Throw a aftermarket tranny cooler on the yard one and keep the fluid changed I almost had my hands on a 95 cream puff century with 60k on it for a tranny but it hit something under the car since the oil pan was cracked and tranny pan was cracked and the cradle was bent upwards . Front seats weren’t sat in and neither was the back seats it’s a shame really thanks hope it helps Keith

Vehicle
    1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette, 1989 GMC Sierra C1500, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT

Century 94-95 a.t.; 4t60e

ciera 94-95 a.t.; 4t60e
    Jay

Vehicle
    1996 Buick Century wagon, 1992 Buick Century sedan, 1993 Buick Century wagon

I recommend a ProKing GM42CW converter. Advertised 1800-2200 stall. I've been using one for four years. I really like it. It works well for what I do, which is commuting, the random road trip, and towing/hauling. It towed a 5x8 Uhaul trailer 1200 miles and was locked up tight the entire time at 60 mph in third.
    Daniel
    Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 214-SFI. 201k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. Transmission time, again. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!
    Goldilocks: 1992 Buick Century Special sedan. 204-MFI. 132k miles. Current DD.
    Susana: 1993 Buick Century Custom wagon. 204-MFI. 121k miles. Garage ornament. Waiting for an LR4.