Thread: Shift Cable Ends Loose on Both Sides of Cable

Vehicle
    1988 Buick Lesabre Limited 3800 "C" Engine

Default Shift Cable Ends Loose on Both Sides of Cable

Hello Everyone,

I have a 1988 Buick Lesabre and the ends of the shift cable are very loose. I can easily pull the end inside the engine compartment off of the gear selector. I found a bushing kit called Gi1Kit online and ordered it. In order to install the bushings, I need to drill out the white plastic end of the shift cable. I am having trouble disconnecting the shift cable from it's bracket to be able to drill it. Does anyone have any tips for getting the shift cable out of it's bracket? Here is a short video showing photos of what I am having trouble with. Thanks for any help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbflCP5E-Yw

Vehicle
    1988 Buick Lesabre Limited 3800 "C" Engine

I just don't want to accidentally brake any plastic pieces and end up worse off than I am now. I assume that there are tabs somewhere that press in somehow to allow me to remove the cable from that holding bracket. I haven't found anything in the manual that specifically details removing the shift cable. If anyone has any ideas or experience with this task please comment below. Thank you!

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT, Mercury Montego

I dont have any specific help on this one, just wanted to say welcome to the forums. Although your car is very different from our A-Bodies, the engine and drivetrain are identical to the ones found in Buicks Centurys and Olds Cutlass Cieras.

Good luck!
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 120k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 182k - 05 Mercury Montego Premier AWD 52k