Thread: Pontiac 6000 STE

Default Pontiac 6000 STE

Looking for a well maintained and original STE, any year, but preferably 1983 and 1984. I have been looking for my own car sold in 2003, but have not found it yet. Carfax states it’s still around with 123k miles in Pennsylvania.

(Anyone own mine?: VIN is 2G2AH19Z6D1229639. It was a great car that we bought new in April of 1983.)

Any well maintained STE including AWD models would be great to have and make me happy!

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

Kind of a oddity anymore. I miss my 6000 STE AWD. But am also glad its gone. There are a few out there still. Most are holding on to them. To cheap to maintain to get rid of.
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 125k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 192k - 05 Buick Rendezvous CXL Sport Plus 61k

Thanks for your input. I have missed some opportunities in the past, but now I hope to find mine or one similar to it. The AWD models when new were quite expensive and, I believe, remain desirable.

The STE was so surprisingly relaxing to drive at speed and fun to drive on winding roads, that it converted many foreign car owners to switch to Pontiac in the mid 1980s.

Young man with a equal affinity to the early STEs contacted me about a car in Kentucky. Three weeks later, the car is back East with me with some care needed. 21BB501E-DFC0-48E4-82C6-7412A756A46B.jpg

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1

Nice! Looks to be in good shape too.

There were parts on the STE (at least the later ones) that were different than even the SE. Like the visors were taller and had pockets in them where you could stash a few CDs. The armrest was cloth covered and was taller. The pushbutton radio and steering wheel controls. The rear disc brakes. I swapped all of these into my old 6000 wagon, along with the power mirrors. I wanted to swap the pushbutton climate control but didn't get all the parts. And I preferred my analog dash.
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, summer daily driver
    1989 Cutlass Cruiser wagon, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, special summer ride
    1996 Cherokee XJ 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed, winter daily driver & towing vehicle
    1991 Tracker 2 door, 1.6, 5 speed, needs work
    Previously several Celebritys, 6000s, & 2 U-vans

Default Getting there

Rehab started with front struts, axles, and steering rack..

Still has vibration at 40 and then above 55. Out of round alloy rim? But they were refurbished last month.

Any idea how to clean stains on pigskin/suede?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

Wow.. That is a rare option on that STE. The pig skin suede was only installed in 277 6000's that I have confirmed record of. I dont have any suggestions of how to clean it, normally the leather by now is gone so bad, that the seats are replaced. Good save on that.
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 125k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 192k - 05 Buick Rendezvous CXL Sport Plus 61k

Vehicle
    1988 cutlass cruiser

My only experience with leather is saddle soap, elbow grease with a damp heavy nap clean white wash rag, not so sure the next step of mink oil would apply here but lightly and a few days in the Georgia sun might do it right. Saddle soap is good stuff.

Thank you, papawhellie. I will try what you recommend.

Vehicle
    1988 cutlass cruiser

I think youll be good on the cleaning. Research the oil on the suede. Its a different animal. May could spray a conditioner on a damp rag and elbow grease and get it looking fine. Someone had a pontiac in my area but it was cloth and he lied about the mileage. 5 digit odometers dont lie when condition tells truth.