Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '89 Eurosport Wagon Rehab

Default '89 Eurosport Wagon Rehab

A very big thanks to Jay here, I finally aquired a workable Celebrity station wagon. This one happens to be an '89 Eurosport and I saved it from being used up as a derby car. It also had been sent to the junkyard and had been processed, so the car needs several things to get it roadworthy again. Pics and more info to come shortly.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

So here it is, fresh off the trailer:

The poor thing had recently been sent to the junkyard, so it came with no radiator, no catalytic converter, no oil, no fuel and no keys. But it does have a clear title!
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

In this shot, the new wagon poses with the two cars that are going to help give it a new life.

The first order of business was replacing the ignition lock.

The interior is in decent condition but could use a good cleaning out and scrubbing. Surprisingly, the dash pads are not warped or separating.

-Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Over this last weekend, I determined that the car has the ability to run. The fuel tank has a terrible leak and the pump is dead, but it does fire right up when you give it the spray. Originally I thought the broken rear track bar was the reason for the car being junked, but now I'm betting it was parked due to the tank leaking and then the pump failed after the car sat for who knows how long. I also got the power hatch release working (failed 30 amp breaker) and replaced the busted/rigged tail light. One of the hatch struts were weak, but it turns out a strut for an '00-'06 Suburban/Tahoe is a direct replacement. It's about a 1/4" longer but works just fine.

Installed a set of '84-'86 aluminum wheels with 215/60's. They need the clearcoat stripped and a good polish, but that can happen when the car is roadworthy.

-Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1

Looks like you're off to a good start. It's so nice having a piece of property like that where you can do what you want at your own pace. I waited a lot of years for that.

Never the dash of a Celeb with rear wiper before. It's interesting where they put the switch. I see you've already got the full gauges too, which to me is practically a requirement.
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, summer daily driver
    1989 Cutlass Cruiser wagon, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, special summer ride
    1996 Cherokee XJ 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed, winter daily driver & towing vehicle
    1991 Tracker 2 door, 1.6, 5 speed, needs work
    Previously several Celebritys, 6000s, & 2 U-vans

Yeah, the wiper switch was clearly an afterthought. The pump works, but the motor is dead, so I'm just going to use the wiperless hatch from the white one. The black hatch looks good, but when I got it open, I found the inside had a lot of rot.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

I've really been on the fence with the interior. I love the dark red and it will clean up ok, but there's no third row seating. I've just about talked myself into swapping in a gray CL interior, as that's what both the parts cars had and the wagon had 3rd row seating. I'll use the split bench from the '86 sedan (white wagon has buckets) and the '86 door panels too (I simply like them better) and then everything else from the white wagon. I'll probably upgrade the car to power windows too since both parts cars are full power. Although I do have some decent doors with crank windows and power locks that I can use if I decide to. All wagons with 3rd row seating came with rear vent windows standard, but I plan to leave the solid windows because it looks a little "cleaner".
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Vehicle

If the interior in my Cruiser wasn't so perfect, I'd find a gray donor and swap it. I like gray interiors more than any other.

When I got my first a-body back in 1996 (6000 SE wagon) I had visions of having kids and them riding in the 3rd seat. Like I used to do in my friend's folks' Celeb wagon and in my grandpa's Caprice. Well me and my college friend hung out in it sometimes, but that was it. My kid is 18 now, and I'm on my 4th a-wagon with a 3rd seat and she never used it. All I ever used the compartment for was storage and a subwoofer box. But the vent windows were nice for camping in the back. With the seats down it would perfectly fit a bunk bed mattress.

I guess I never paid attention to the door panels in my 86.

Vehicle
    1988 cutlass cruiser

Are those Chevy wheels? They are sharp. With four kids I was in the suburban clan in the 90?s. Needed all seats and space below the 12-15 passenger van level.

Yes, they are Chevy wheels. They actually have "Chevrolet" cast right into the wheel lips. They are the large bolt pattern, but they were offered in the smaller bolt pattern too, for the cars without HD brakes. Citation X11's got the same wheels, but they had "Citation" cast into the wheel lips.

I've got 8 kids and one in the oven too, so I'll get use out of the 3rd seat occasionally. Having the vent windows for camping is something I hadn't thought about. It could happen, but likely rare. For camping I'll still probably take one of my trucks with a cap, or one of my Suburbans.

I do need to find a hitch for it I guess. I have a small utility trailer that would go fine behind a car, and I have a little vintage camper that might not be too much for it.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Also, the '86 CL door panels are a one-year deal. They have a horizontal pattern sewn into them that I have always liked.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Vehicle

I had a hitch on my 90 6000 wagon. It pulled my 5x8 enclosed utility trailer nicely. I put a trans cooler on it, a brake controller, and the hitch. Standard hitch installation they use these nuts that just clip into the unibody rails. For mine I drilled holes and welded nuts to a long flat bar or angle iron to match the hitch mounting points, removed the bumper and bumper shock absorbers, and slid it into the unibody. It made me feel a lot better having the entire unibody rails carrying the hitch load.

Vehicle
    1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette, 1989 GMC Sierra C1500, 2005 Chevrolet Corvette, 2001 Pontiac Aztek GT

That's actually a nice car for the money. That red would clean up well and the black/red I bet was pretty sharp in its day. And I hate red interiors.
    Jay

The same guy that saw it on the lift and said it was solid underneath also thought the car was a Lumina, lol. But if the guy wasn't confused about Luminas, you never would have seen it for sale. But anyway, the right rear wheelwell and torque box need replaced to make the car good for the long run. But for a measly 400 bucks, it was still well worth it. Thanks again!
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Bit of an update, the car runs well, drives well and shifts well. But the thermostat seems to be stuck, the exhaust still ends where the cat once lived, and the brakes are just about non-existent so I need to look into that issue. But it's alive! I have a bunch of pictures to put up when I get some time.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast