Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first time with an A-body 😀

Default My first time with an A-body 😀

Introduction:

I am a 20 year old guy from middle Tennessee and I have a strong love for all vehicles. I have recently purchased a 1992 olds cutlass ciera with a 3300 engine.

Condition:

There is little to no rust besides the paint chips on the fenders and the rear cross bar. I got it for 650 dollars from a family friend after his grandmother passed. It was her personal vehicle, and been taken care of. I have the original purchase paperwork and all of the books.
    It has had a fender and possibly a door on the passenger side replaced. The fender is off-colored and neither the door or fender line up amazing. The interior is in great shape with light wear on the driver seat.

Repairs:

The center console lid was worn badly so I quickly replaced it. I have replaced the heater core and the lines. The passenger headlight was busted up from a stray BB and I found another light at a salvage yard. The muffler was rusted off so I got a cherry bomb muffler for it.

Modifications:

I have ordered all of my bulbs from ibrightstar on amazon. I had to connect a LED compatable relay for my flashers(which I purchased from Napa/Florida brothers). I have nineo LED headlights and the small #24 bulbs on the side are from superbrightleds. I wired a 4 high relay kit from painless performance for the 88-98 Chevrolet trucks into the car and I love it. I can see everything I want to. The head unit has been replaced with a cheap dual unit from Walmart. My front speakers were shot so I removed them. In the process I discovered why my dash shook so bad at speed. (Cracked plastics) My rears still work fine. Let me know what you think of my project.

Also, How do you guys post your pictures here?

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1

Congrats on getting an a-body. I was 20 when I got my first a-body too. That was 22 years ago. They're good cars, reliable, mostly easy to work on.

You need to use a pic hosting site and link to them. There are lots of them. I use Imagevenue because it seems to take the lowest bandwidth for my slow connection, and I'm not slowed down by a bunch of ads or scripts.
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, summer daily driver
    1989 Cutlass Cruiser wagon, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, special summer ride
    1996 Cherokee XJ 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed, winter daily driver & towing vehicle
    1991 Tracker 2 door, 1.6, 5 speed, needs work
    Previously several Celebritys, 6000s, & 2 U-vans

Thank you I will post some pictures soon.

Vehicle

I got my Cruiser from someone who inherited it from an elderly family member. A 72 year old couple bought it next to new (found out it was an Avis rental car before that), then the husband died shortly after, and the wife drove it until she couldn't anymore. It looks like it never got driven in snow. It still has all the paperwork too. It's great when you find these old cars nearly rust free. As long as the foundation is good, just about any repair is a bolt on and is worth it in my opinion.

I've replaced the heater core on just about all of my a-bodys. I'm thankful they're so easy, as I hear about them being a ton of work on other cars, like having to pull the whole dash out.

I did the 4 headlight relay on several cars, but just made up my own kit. 20-25 years ago I did it to my cars, and my friend's GM cars. The first time I rode with my friend after installing the relay in his Bonneville, he was brighted by a pickup truck, so he hit his high beams and shouted "HOOWAH" and lit up the driver in the truck. Ever since then, we refer to it as the hoowah relay, or just giving a car hoowahs.

I need to get some new front speakers at some point, one buzzes sometimes. I'll probably do all 4, then put in the amp and box that I had in my old 6000 wagon. The box was a bandpass box I built to fit the 3rd seat floor area.

Yes it would be nice to see some pics of your car.

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

Welcome! Nice looking car.
    Jerry

Thank you so much. I want to get some of the aluminum rain guards and there are some in a local pull a part but the windows are up and it is electric.

Vehicle

Nice looking car. Underside looks pretty good, so does the pic showing the trailing arm bracket. Those seem to be the first thing to rust out on these cars.

Does yours have the long hood prop rod that lays down across the radiator support? I think it was 1992 they switched to that. Much better design.

A tip for Imagevenue, you can copy the code that says it will make a clickable thumbnail, and paste it here. Seems to work better.
    Last edited by tlc1976; 04-25-2019 at 05:36 PM.

Thanks for the tips. Yes I have the long prop rod. I am not a huge fan of prop rods at all though. Might try to do shocks.

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

You can still power the power windows with a battery pack from a power drill or whatever your local yard allows. I do this all the time when I need parts, and a power seat, or window, or whatever is in my way.
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 125k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 192k - 05 Buick Rendezvous CXL Sport Plus 61k

Thanks again for the tips. I am already loving this community.

Does anyone know of any bolt on suspension upgrades? I want a better ride without as much body roll. I do quite a bit of spirited driving and would love to corner well. A good corner at 55-60 is kinda scary.

Vehicle

You can swap your front stabilizer bar with one from a 90-96 U-van (Pontiac Trans Sport, Olds Silhouette, Chevy Lumina APV). They are considerably thicker and will reduce body roll. Make sure to grab the bushings along with it, though I believe you can still get the bushings new.

So grab the sway bar?

Also, will I starve my engine of oil from hard cornering?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast