Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My first time with an A-body 😀

Vehicle
    1992 Century Special 1996 Century Custom

Just to clarify, the bushings through the frame / engine cradle must match the stabilizer / anti-sway bar, but the bushings with at the lower control arm are the same. The bars are all the same small diameter at the lower control arm.

A bar from a U-van is like night and day on these cars. I have a 27mm bar from a '95 Transport on our '96, and a sport suspension (FE3 option) 28mm bar from a '90 Silhouette. The original, standard suspension (FE1) sedan bar is around 22mm (at least what I've measured on the '90+ cars).

Station wagon springs are also a great upgrade on the back of a sedan. I have them on the '96, but not (yet) on our '92. I haven't found our '92 to be as pathetic and 'broken down' feeling (and bottoming out) as the '96, even thought the '92 has a lot more miles. The rear spring perches (lower) change in '93, so you would be limited to '92 and older.
    Jerry

Vehicle

I don't believe you'll ever be able to corner hard enough to starve the engine for oil unless it is really low on oil, without wrecking the car too.

How many miles on yours? The 3300 is very durable. I recently came across the highest mileage example I've seen;

Very nice '91, white sedan with blue interior. Low options with the 3 speed auto. Had new tires, so I'll guess a major power train failure.
    Last edited by CorvairGeek; 04-27-2019 at 03:43 PM.
    Jerry

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebelcher98 View Post
    Thanks for the tips. Yes I have the long prop rod. I am not a huge fan of prop rods at all though. Might try to do shocks.
    I'm so partial to the Olds shorty rods, I added them to my Century's. The single, Century lift strut doesn't hold up anyway. The nearly 90 degree hood opening makes life easier for geezers like me!

No stress on the hood, since it hooks to the hinge.
    Jerry

Where can I get the small rod

Vehicle

The were Cutlass Ciera only. I've found them on cars up through '89, IIRC.
    Jerry

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1

The thing with the small Ciera rod is it puts too much stress at the hood on one side and too far back. The overhung weight of the hood wants to fold it over at that point. Mine got bent that way, and I've read of others similar experience here. They used the small rod up through 1991, for 1992 they changed the design to the longer rod that props it front and center like it should be. I swapped mine to the later one. Even later when I did my engine swap, the rod or even the hood wasn't in the way.

If you really want the small prop rod, and you can't find one locally, you can have mine for whatever it costs to ship it. I don't want it for any reason.
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, summer daily driver
    1989 Cutlass Cruiser wagon, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, special summer ride
    1996 Cherokee XJ 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed, winter daily driver & towing vehicle
    1991 Tracker 2 door, 1.6, 5 speed, needs work
    Previously several Celebritys, 6000s, & 2 U-vans

There?s an 89 in a local yard, but I can?t open the hood. I don?t want to damage it in case someone else needs it.

That car is pretty well identical to mine. Except for the year. Wish it was local to me haha. My ciera is currently around 175000

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by tlc1976 View Post
    The thing with the small Ciera rod is it puts too much stress at the hood on one side and too far back. The overhung weight of the hood wants to fold it over at that point. Mine got bent that way, and I've read of others similar experience here. They used the small rod up through 1991, for 1992 they changed the design to the longer rod that props it front and center like it should be. I swapped mine to the later one. Even later when I did my engine swap, the rod or even the hood wasn't in the way.
    I never thought about that since there is no slot to use it like that on the Century. A kink in the hood would match my old Squarebody Chevy pickup!
    Jerry

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebelcher98 View Post
    There?s an 89 in a local yard, but I can?t open the hood. I don?t want to damage it in case someone else needs it.
    Can you remove the grille, pry the end of the hood cable up and out of its slot, then yank the hood cable back to open the hood? That's how mine was when I got it, it needed a hood cable.

Vehicle
    1988 cutlass cruiser

All I have seen in the yards here are the short rods that hook in the middle of the hood where it always bends. I had no clue it has a spot to hook at the hinge for 90 degree access.
    Is my 88 cruiser set up for that feature, it has the short rod? I try and save stuff for the next guy but in the pullapart yards here cars do not last long before they crush.If I really wanted something I would not hesistate to bust out a window. The 97 cutlass I got my wheels from the rear galass had been busted on-site for some reason. Others will come, its a rotating stock situation.

Vehicle
    1988 cutlass cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by tlc1976 View Post
    You can swap your front stabilizer bar with one from a 90-96 U-van (Pontiac Trans Sport, Olds Silhouette, Chevy Lumina APV). They are considerably thicker and will reduce body roll. Make sure to grab the bushings along with it, though I believe you can still get the bushings new.
    The redesigned vans sway bars are a no go huh? 90-96 or bust??

Vehicle

I haven't checked but I highly doubt it. Completely redesigned vehicle for 97.

Vehicle

The '97 and later van is a completely different design. Not even close.
    Jerry

Is the grille emblem for the 92 Cutlass the same as an acheiva of the same period?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast