Thread: A good engine/underhood cleaner?

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1

Default A good engine/underhood cleaner?

In the old days I used to use Gunk Original engine cleaner on all the underhood surfaces, and it worked pretty good.

The Cruiser wasn't that bad, after all the engine surfaces were already clean. I wanted to clean the rest of everything. There was mainly a dirty haze on all the surfaces. Only a small pile of grease at the hood latch.

Well apparently they don't make it like they used to. The engine cleaner didn't even touch it. It didn't clean anything. All it did was left what looked like a greasy waterproof sheen on everything. Sealing in the crud.

So I started wiping with a rag, and it wiped off pretty easily. I didn't have to scrub. I spent an hour, it was a real pain to get to certain areas, and I know I missed most of it due to so many surfaces being irregular. Then I figured I'd try the underside of the hood which was the same condition but I didn't spray the cleaner. All I had to do was wet it down with water, and most of it wiped off too.

If it was so easy to wipe it off, why didn't the engine cleaner touch it? Is there a good engine cleaner that will actually suspend the stuff in water so it can be sprayed off with a hose?
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, summer daily driver
    1989 Cutlass Cruiser wagon, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, special summer ride
    1996 Cherokee XJ 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed, winter daily driver & towing vehicle
    1991 Tracker 2 door, 1.6, 5 speed, needs work
    Previously several Celebritys, 6000s, & 2 U-vans

I also think that the Gunk degreaser doesn't work like it used to. It kinda sorta works, but doesn't really.

What about Purple Power misted on the area, then the Gunk degreaser? Then the rinse if course.
    -Andy

'86 Eurosport VR coupe
    '86 Eurosport sedan
    '88 Eurosport VR coupe
    '89 Eurosport wagon

Vehicle
    1988 cutlass cruiser

Some of the guys on a vintage motorcycle forum i am on swear by purple power. One of those little $80 electric pressure washers hooked to your washing machine hot water connection would cut it. Heat and more pressure makes a world of difference. Just cover the important electronics with saran wrap or something.

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1

I've used purple power on things. It eats paint. There would be a fine line between leaving it on long enough to loosen the crud, and it eating through the paint.

Hadn't thought about hooking up to the washing machine connection and running the hose out the window. Nice idea. It's in the same corner of the house as the garden hose anyway.
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, summer daily driver
    1989 Cutlass Cruiser wagon, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, special summer ride
    1996 Cherokee XJ 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed, winter daily driver & towing vehicle
    1991 Tracker 2 door, 1.6, 5 speed, needs work
    Previously several Celebritys, 6000s, & 2 U-vans

Vehicle
    1988 cutlass cruiser

I really like tide powder. If you made a slurry with it and brushed it on and hit it with hot water might be worth a try. The bike guys are repainting the frames most of the time.