Thread: Parking brake release cable replacement.

Vehicle
    1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera 3300 V6

Default Parking brake release cable replacement.

Hello all, I'm in a bit of an impasse. I need to replace the parking brake release cable. The one that's in the lower left-hand side of the dash board. The cable that travels under the car to the rear brakes is fine. The cable is attached to the parking brake release handle, and the cable itself is contained within a plastic sheath. Its the sheath that's being difficult. With the way it's made and installed, I don't see a way to remove it without possibly breaking something. The problem started when the small metal grip in the cable snapped off from age. I've been releasing the parking brake by using pliers on the release mechanism, but that's getting VERY old. And it's not good for the parking pawl when on an incline because I can't apply the regular brakes as I normally would because I have to be outside of the car to do it. Also, does anyone know where I could get a new cable. I know that with the age of our cars, I'll likely be heading to a salvage yard. Thanks in advance

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

I would replace the cable with it. The cable seperates just under the drivers seat along the from rail, it has a black box thing that connects the rear cable to the front cable.
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 125k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 192k - 05 Buick Rendezvous CXL Sport Plus 61k

Vehicle
    1988 cutlass cruiser

The 89 I got the hood from is still at Atl south. I know it?s a pretty good ride but you could do the zoo, high museum or something while your in town. I?ll be back out there next week looking for Saturn wheels

https://www.pullapart.com/inventory/...38&ModelID=915