Thread: Wheel and color question

Vehicle
    '96 Ciera wagon

Default Wheel and color question

Any paint gurus out there? What exactly is "medium marblehead metallic?" It's definitely a grey, but I've heard some think it's brown-ish, purpley, and just plain grey. I'm somewhat colorblind so opinions from people better sighted than I are welcome.

Why am I asking? Well, I'd like to do a DIY wheel recondition on a set of snowflake alloys I picked up junkyard fresh for almost scrap value. One is slightly curbed, the rest just have totally trashed clear coat. I'm thinking aircraft stripper to remove the clear, sand them all down nice and smooth and then prime/paint. The question is, what color to paint them? First idea I had is something approaching gunmetal grey. I know you can get paint that resembles bright aluminum, but I could always just polish and clear instead if I chose to go bright with the color. Thoughts? Vehicle is a Ciera wagon. I'm also planning on tinting all windows as dark as law allows, it's just too dang hot in the sun.
    Daily: '93 Century, '96 Ciera Wagon, '96 Tahoe
    Project: '85 Monte Carlo SS, '91 Camaro
    Race: '81 "Frankenvette" Chevette (L67 swap 24 Hours of Lemons)

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1

I don't know about the paint color. But what I did with mine (and some STE/Trans Sport alloys) was put them in a tub of water. Sand off the clearcoat or paint, aircraft stripper helps. I stopped at 600 grit because I wanted a circular brushed look. Then I coated them with Turtle Wax. The ones I did on my trailer still look good and I did them back in 2001 or so, and they have been used every winter. It seems the reason the factory ones get so nasty is salt and junk gets trapped under the clearcoat. I didn't want to put clearcoat back on and end up in the same predicament.

I think if you want a color to them, the best thing would be to have them powdercoated.
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, summer daily driver
    1989 Cutlass Cruiser wagon, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, special summer ride
    1996 Cherokee XJ 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed, winter daily driver & towing vehicle
    1991 Tracker 2 door, 1.6, 5 speed, needs work
    Previously several Celebritys, 6000s, & 2 U-vans

Vehicle
    '96 Ciera wagon

Aircraft stripper is definitely going to be the way go to to get them to bare, agreed.
    Daily: '93 Century, '96 Ciera Wagon, '96 Tahoe
    Project: '85 Monte Carlo SS, '91 Camaro
    Race: '81 "Frankenvette" Chevette (L67 swap 24 Hours of Lemons)

Vehicle
    1988 cutlass cruiser

I bought this color for my 69 f250 headers. Just painted a rearend cover for a 95 jeep with some leftovers. Its a nice high temp gray. I can paint a small piece of plastic or something and mail it to you if you want to pm or post an address. Check ollies if they operate in your area. I bought duplicolor spray in there for .99 a can in the past. If i can figure out how to delete flickr photos ill post a pic. Everything uploaded and used my free 1k.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-sp1203/
    I would clear it for shine with a summit product also. From my motorcycle forums mixing paint mfgs can sometimes screw up lots of hard work. Not worth the risk.

I think 4WheelOnline may have just the right thing you're looking for. They also sell them off at a great price.

They are selling it on Walmart, eBay, and other online auto parts and accessories shop.