Thread: 1993 Century Limited - some questions

Default 1993 Century Limited - some questions

Hello!

I have my sights on a 1993 Buick Century Limited, with the 3300. It's a 1 and a half owner car (original owner gave it away for a brand new Kia and one of my friends got it at this point, that was 2 months ago)

The car has 87000km (54000 miles) and it has lived through a few Canadian winters, but it was garaged for most of it's life and it has been rust-proofed every year or so. There is some minor body work to do to bring it back to it's showroom condition, but while looking at it closer yesterday I did notice a few things.

My friend told me about a small coolant leak -around the intake gasket area- but I have also found that it could just be the small plastic nipple. Either way, he told me he didn't have to top it off yet and it does not overheat. Would I be able to drive the 200km from his place to mine without worry?

Second, I noticed a weird ''knocking'' sensation in the shifter once the car had warmed up. While shifting from drive to reverse or to park, there is a very slight ''thud'' but my friend did not aknowledged it, and my dad who was in the car with us didn't seem to notice. Maybe it was in my head?

Third question, regarding the cluster: the needle indicating which gear is selected is stuck at the far-right end, after the 2. Can this be repaired without completely replacing the cluster? Changing gears blindly isn't the best thing to do.

Thank you very much in advance! Over all, the car is pretty clean inside and out. There is only some surface rust but the previous owner glued on some chrome strips OVER the existing strips. The interior looks like new and every electrical devices work, even the antenna! We have not talked about a price yet, but I'm thinking about 1300-1500$ CAD, does it sound reasonnable to you guys?

Vehicle
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door 3.1, 1989 Cutlass Cruiser 3.1

Congrats. If you can find one that's not rusted out then excellent. You can bolt in parts all day long as long as you have a good solid base to work with.

Seems like I've read in here about some coolant nipple on the 90 degree engines. I've never had an A with one so I don't know.

First thing I'd do is make sure the trans fluid is at the proper level. When I've had it get low the shifts would be harder like that.

The cluster thing is easy. There is a metal clip that attaches to the tube that rotates around the steering column with the shifter. It pulls a cable to pull the indicator along and point at the correct gear. Most likely the cable just needs to be clipped back on, when you do that you can adjust it so it reads correctly. Of course it could be broken too but I've never had one break. Getting to it I don't know as haven't had a Century before, but more than likely it's a dash panel that comes off.
    1989 Celebrity CL 4 door, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, summer daily driver
    1989 Cutlass Cruiser wagon, 3.1 MPFI, 4 speed auto, special summer ride
    1996 Cherokee XJ 4 door, 4.0, 5 speed, winter daily driver & towing vehicle
    1991 Tracker 2 door, 1.6, 5 speed, needs work
    Previously several Celebritys, 6000s, & 2 U-vans

Thank you! My friend is away on vacations until mid-August. When he comes back I will ask him to confirm where the coolant might be leaking from, atleast I will be able to repair it right away and not play a guessing game.
    Is the trans fluid reservoir easily accessible? It would be easy to check and top off if it is easily accessed.

Other than those two things, I don't think anything else would prevent it from driving back home once I can buy it from him... Will keep you updated!

Vehicle
    '96 Ciera wagon

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMTL View Post
    Thank you! My friend is away on vacations until mid-August. When he comes back I will ask him to confirm where the coolant might be leaking from, atleast I will be able to repair it right away and not play a guessing game.
    Is the trans fluid reservoir easily accessible? It would be easy to check and top off if it is easily accessed.

Other than those two things, I don't think anything else would prevent it from driving back home once I can buy it from him... Will keep you updated!
    Transmission fluid is filled via the transmission dipstick tube. Check while the vehicle is up to temperature and running. You will need a long funnel to fill it.
    Daily: '93 Century, '96 Ciera Wagon, '96 Tahoe
    Project: '85 Monte Carlo SS, '91 Camaro
    Race: '81 "Frankenvette" Chevette (L67 swap 24 Hours of Lemons)

So you're offering $975-1125USD. I think that's a fair offer. I've paid about that or more for cars with a lot more miles. I've also paid $250 for a running and driving 92 with 125k miles.