Thread: UPDATE: New owner of a 96 Ciera SL

Vehicle
    96 Olds Cutlass Ciera

Default UPDATE: New owner of a 96 Ciera SL

Hey everyone. Per my previous thread (here) https://www.a-body.net/forums/showth...-Cutlass-Ciera

I got the car from the WV mountains this weekend. And things are...interesting...so far. Sorry for the novel I wrote below it includes good times and bad, happiness and sheer terror. Hopefully worth the read.

The car is a 4 banger, light blue exterior, blue interior, and has 58k original miles.

The interior is flawless. The body is okay, about as good as any car from 1996 could be. No clearcoat damage, but dings and small rust spots at the corners of some of the doors. Definitely needs a deep clean to get the grime off of it for sitting 3 years. Tires are still technically in spec, but just barely. Still questionable on trusting them.

The frame unfortunately is not looking too hot. More on that later.

So I drove up the mountain in the truck and car trailer. The Ciera was parked in a patch of grass, on a hill. Mother in law states that she drove the car up and down the street just 6 months ago and it was fine, minus the fact that there was a fuel line leak. She recommended not running it until it was fixed.

So, we pushed the car onto the trailer (Easier than I thought it would be considering the grade of the hill). Went to set the parking brake, and BOOM I hear a snap, followed by brake fluid pouring onto the right passenger side brake assembly, wheel, and tire. Had to wipe it off with a rag initially because of no access to a hose to wash it off.

Strap it down, bring it back 3 hours to Columbus. So now, we go to remove it from the trailer, but the parking brake is stuck in the engaged position. Backing off the pedal, re-applying, etc. didn't do anything. So now the car is essentially stuck on the trailer. It only budged a couple inches with a few people trying to push it off in neutral. (which is crazy considering half of the cars I've owned, the parking brake didn't slow the car worth a damn, now this one is the world's strongest parking brake)

But anyhow, I'm thinking, the next logical step is to start it up, use it's own power to overcome the force of the brake.

Though considering there is a fuel leak, we ought to pop the hood and have a fire extinguisher, just in case.

Of course, the hood doesn't want to pop. We removed the front grille to access the latch a bit better. Minor tinkering and we fixed the issue. Pop the hood through the latch in the cabin, and when we open it up, we are greeted with a MASSIVE hornet's nest. And some of the hornets are still there! They made the trip on the highway....my neighbor dropped the hood back down in a panic, and of course they all fly out now (how we didn't run into a single hornet when we were loading the car is beyond me). We all run for our lives through the yard.

One of my other hobbies is beekeeping, so I put on my bee suit and removed the nest. Other than that, the engine bay looks to be in decent condition visually. Belts are in good condition, but I need to examine the fluids soon here.

SO now, the hood is open, we are able to safely start the car. Car started relatively easy, and sounded good. BUT NOW, gas is POURING out of the lines underneath the drivers side door. I'm not sure how the car was even running, considering the engine wasn't receiving nearly as much fuel as it should. At least I know the fuel pump is strong? lol.

The trailer is now soaked in gas, I throw it in reverse, and with the obvious resistance of the brake, I get the car down into the yard. Shut it off quick, but fuel is still just pouring out into the grass afterwards.

So that's literally and figuratively where we sit. Might push the car into the pole barn this evening....I don't want to dump fuel in there with the engine running. We'll see. Having it outside will give me a chance to power wash it too.

Pictures!

Wait, I'm at work and all the photo sharing sites are blocked....so I'll add pics later this evening when I'm home.

Ultimately, the parking brake issue and the fuel lines are obviously the priorities. I'll begin my search into the best way to fix both issues with the correct parts here. Also thinking of buying one of those Haynes auto repair manuals, considering they are cheap and easy to find for this car. The frame looks rough (to me) but I wanted to get more pics so you guys could judge that. I'll get those and upload them here as soon as I can.

Anyhow, thanks for reading. Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated. Glad to be part of this forum now!

Vehicle
    96 Olds Cutlass Ciera

Here are some pics - http://imgur.com/gallery/2LtwLrk

Definitely needs a powerwash. The last photos are looking up on the rear axle onto the rear brakes. I've never had a car with that much rust on the components, so in my opinion it looks pretty bad.

Found parts for the fuel lines, should be a relatively straightforward splice and replacement. Still working on the stuck parking brake.

Vehicle
    GMC Envoy XUV, Pontiac Aztek GT

Well I have definetly seen worse.. (on the rear axle)
    Brian - Carpe Diem

I dont have to love my president, or any god, to love my country!!
    More people have died in the name of "God" than in all wars combined thruout history
    01 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 125k - 04 GMC Envoy SLT XUV 192k - 05 Buick Rendezvous CXL Sport Plus 61k